General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Front End Noise 91 Stang

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 04:51 PM
stjh1029

Default Front End Noise 91 Stang

Heyeveryone - hoping you can help me. I'm new here, my wife bought me a 91 GT a year and a half ago for my birthday... LOVE IT, it's my 3rd mustang... My first car was a 93(4cylinder... I know woohoo!).. Rebuilt the engine on a 66 and ended up selling it a couple of years ago because my daughter was in the hospital on and off for over a year(she's all better now)... So now I have this 91 and for the past couple of weeks there's a noise that has gotten progressively worse, on bumps, etc.. there's a clanging noise coming from the driver side front end... drives me nuts and i'm worried i'm making it worse by driving it.. I've actually taken it now to 4 different shops and none of them could find the noise... I've replaced the sway bar links and bushings(which were going bad anyway), and still got this dang noise... The guy I bought it from had it lowered, I drive it all the time so I just had stock height springs put back in front and back, shocks are nitrogen filled shocks...

anyone have any ideas or had the same kind of noise while driving? just a clank, clink, clank as you're driving over even small bumps... only other thing I noticed is its starting to happen as I start off from a stop too... I'm starting to think control arm????

HELP!!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Front End Noise 91 Stang

The 5.0 forum would probably net you a few more responses, but the Foxes were known to have the upper mount for the strut cause that kind of noise.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:41 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

I used to get that problem all the time, but it was more like a jingle. After I lowered my car, and after bangin some hard corners the sleeve of the sway bar link would get shoved through the bushings and washers. I got thicker ones. Also, check your caliper, it can make that noise if its loose. Also, a worn lower control arm bushing can make the noise.
Is the noise really loud over big bumps?
-P.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:59 PM
The stang II
2nd Gear Member

Dude, you have the same problem I have! My Mustang II does that too.

Ok it's something with the brakes. When you step on them, it clinks once then stops even if you go over bumps becuase it pressing whatever lose together so it can't move (caliper?). Then when you let of the brake, it clinks once, thenwhen you go over bumps it goes off like a rattle can. Yea I drive my car everyday, it won't hurt your car, just role up your windows, or even listen to music, you won't hear it. Yea the reason mine is doing it, is because we replaced the brakes, and something might have happened.

Just don't worry about it, take your brakes apart and check everything...
Old 10-13-2006, 12:11 PM
stjh1029

stang II - only thing on my caliper I noticed is it's a little loose, ask my mechanic he said it was to spec as it had to float over the rotor... i took it apart and put it back together... don't hear it when pressing the break... yeah loud music is a good thing.. but this dang noise is pretty loud..

P Zero - yeah sometimes quieter than others, but most the time a pretty loud CLANK! I replaced both sway bar links with the "heavy duty ones"... didn't help... It occurred to me to check out the lower and upper control arms last night... the bushings for those.. do you have to replace the whole arm or just the bushing? never messed with them before...

Colorado Stang - i noticed the stang has a different kind of setup than I'm use to seeing, instead one whole unit with the shock inside the spring, the spring sits by itself between the upper and lower and then the shock mounts to the lower and then the frame up top... The guy I bought this from put in some kind of setup on the top where its all new silver looking, guess to reinforce it?

Sometimes the dang thing sounds like a bolt loose and it's scraping up and down.. i'm heading home this afternoon and after going to a demo derby, i'm putting the thing up on ramps and starting to take a good look at it... thanks all the ideas... i'll let you know the outcome or if I'm just still totally stumped...

Old 10-25-2006, 02:23 PM
stjh1029

Holy crap - something to keep in mind.... 4 mechanics later i finally found the noise... let's just say the guy i bought this car from must have forgot to grease the ball joints on the front, both sides... i took a chance, started greasing them and they were basically empty.. hasn't made a noise since, but i'm sure i'm going to have to replace them sooner rather than later....