General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trying to upgrade my car but i'm new at this...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:50 PM
ericpolanco

Default Trying to upgrade my car but i'm new at this...

Hi everyone, and i hope i don't annoy anybody with questions that i may post.
I picked up a 2002 Sonic Blue Mustang GT a few months ago and it's still stock.
I've pushed it up to 155 and man i must tell you i love speed but i'm sure i'm pushing the car if i don't have upgraded parts on it to do such a thing.
If anyone can give me tips, sites with reliable parts, retail stores, or any advice i would really appreciate it.
I wanted to start by getting a new air filter and intake kit but i'm not sure which or what brand is best for mustangs. I have heard of BBK and K&N.
I wanted to grab a new set of headers as well and purchase everything from the headers down to the exhaust system because i'm sure it's better to have everything for better air flow.
Remember i am new at this and i'm still learning so please don't take it the wrong way.
That was just a start, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx ALL!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:12 PM
86 GT 5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Trying to upgrade my car but i'm new at this...

Your headed in the right direction. Most people do exhaust first and then cai and all but you should also get gears best bang for the buck!!! good luck
Old 10-25-2006, 03:07 AM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Trying to upgrade my car but i'm new at this...

Gears is gonna be your bet upgrade, prob get 3.55 or 3.73 ratio higher geras are better results you are going to see but if you are a high way driver higher gears like 4.10s will suck for gas ect.

For intake you could just get a K&N drop in filter or go with a mroe expensive more attractive and slighty more hp increase with a CAI from MAC BBK and anyother brand out there.

Exhaust, Go with a H pipe or X pipe, could chose a off road set up no cats. Exhaust more so over performance has a lot to do with sound, look around look at videos and sound clip off all peoples exhausts see which one you like better.

Thats pretty much a basic first step to me. Oh, TIRES!!!! even if you are stock its troublesome to put power to the wheels with out good tires, and winter is approaching. lastly Suspension which i dunno a whole lot about... but suspension will help put that power to the rear wheels as well, not neccaserilly a power adder but it will help regain all that lost power from crank to the tires.