General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turbo or Super chager?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 07:52 PM
kingsnake
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo or Super charger?

I would love to go with the twin turbo, but the only problem I have is that with the exhaust that works with the turbos I will no longer be emissions legal. That's a problem in my book...
Old 08-20-2004, 09:43 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

turbos make more power, more torque, take less power to operate, and have less lag than a centrifugal blower. but a turbo isnt necesarry on a stock motor cobra. if you want to build the bottum end, and makes gobs of hp, turbo is your route.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:38 AM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

Check out turbomustangs forum.it will show you everything.

Rye
Old 08-27-2004, 02:46 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo or Super chager?

ORIGINAL: Cobra Dave

whats the difference between turbo charging your car and supercharging it? I have an '01 cobra and I just wanted to know if there would be a difference in performance if I turbo charged my cobra instead of S\Cing it.
turbos are driven by the heat in the exhaust gases which is free power.
superchargers are driven off the crankshaft so they take away some HP from the rear wheels. I would personally go for the supercharger myself, simplier to install and better power down low on the street where most of the driving is done anyway.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:35 PM
blown87Gt
1st Gear Member

CHECK OUT THE D-1 FROM PRO-CHARGER.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:44 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman
turbos are driven by the heat in the exhaust gases which is free power.
superchargers are driven off the crankshaft so they take away some HP from the rear wheels. I would personally go for the supercharger myself, simplier to install and better power down low on the street where most of the driving is done anyway.
turbos arent free hp, they slow exhaust gas down, losing hp, but not nearly as much hp lost from the parasitic load of a supercharger.
ORIGINAL: blown87Gt

CHECK OUT THE D-1 FROM PRO-CHARGER.
d1 is to much on a stock 01 cobra
Old 08-29-2004, 02:31 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

[
turbos make more power, more torque, take less power to operate, and have less lag than a centrifugal blower
centrifugal super chargers have no lag at all you floor it. it makes boost now and then builds boost till you let out of it or blow the motor or get out of the efficiency of the blower and hurt it.the boost is lower at lower rpm it builds boost as rpms go up but at no time dose it not make boost after it is at wot. as a turbo can suffer from.but lag with a turbo at proper size for the motor will suffer from very little lag and will be at full boost sooner then a centrifugal s/c motor will be.but get a turbo to big and lag will be a problem for sure.and as said the turbo dose take HP to run but no were as much as a supercharger and will make more hp then a S/C due to this.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:33 PM
blown87Gt
1st Gear Member

D1 IS NOT REALLY TO MUCH BECAUSE NOW PRO IS MAKING AN F1 FOR THE 03
Old 08-30-2004, 10:15 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uedlose
centrifugal super chargers have no lag at all you floor it.
yes they do. have you ever driven a car with one before? well, ive owned one
ORIGINAL: blown87Gt

D1 IS NOT REALLY TO MUCH BECAUSE NOW PRO IS MAKING AN F1 FOR THE 03
a d1 is way to much. all it needs is a p series.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:24 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

[[/quote]
yes they do. have you ever driven a car with one before? well,Ive owned one NO THEY DONT.And yes by the way I have driven a supercharger car many times. And I drove it to 11.16 at 121mph with 1.58 60 ft on et streets to and from the track.in a full weight car still has the smog pump on it .with a auto trans.if your blower car had lag you better get a better tuner.(or did you tune your own. as I do)we have a blower car a 89 its the wifes I also have a car.that will have a power adder I got the hot parts for a Cartech Outlaw kit.But think I am gone too sell and go back to a supercharger one with out lag... LOL.. Iam not some B/S kid.I been racing a few years and running a supercharger for 8 years now.and have yet to have lag yet.hell our car was making 4psi by 3500 rpm.and 8psi by 4500.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7534/82E2C420DE044422980780E7F4C300FB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7534/9EAACABF30B444D68EABF0E32EBE1F8A.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Turbo or Super chager?