General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

question about heat and savings on gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 06:21 PM
hookedonkronik
2nd Gear Member

Default question about heat and savings on gas

If I run my car with the heat ON, does that save me on gas? I have two possible theories of that make me think its either:

a) better to have it on because it allows the engine to run cooler with more breathing air. The same reason if your car starts to overheat that you should crank your vents

OR

b) worse to have the heat on because it is draining power from the engine. When the car is off, the blower for the vents will not work. So i'm assuming the blowers get their power from the engine crankshaft and pulleys like say air conditioning.

Also, does it make a difference if I use the vent compared to using the floor heat? I ask because I also feel like maybe when it uses the vents its using specifically only the vents and nothing else.

Can someone who knows how an engine works specifically mine (97 3.8 stang) enlighten me on this that'd be great its been bugging the **** out of me for a while now...
Old 12-13-2006, 06:42 PM
dirtystang04
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: question about heat and savings on gas

Does not save at all. In theory, if the motor ran cooler it would run richer (more fuel). And to answer your question, the heat/ac fans run on electricity and only on the highest setting you'll notice a slight drop in electical power. <- (depending on how efficient your alternator is working) just my $.02
Old 12-13-2006, 06:45 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

U serious? lol

Nah the heater won't impact fuel economy. First of all the heat exchanger portion that warms the cabin is only a fraction % of the total heat generated by the engine so, on or off in winter really won't make any difference. I've heard that theory too about cranking up the heater in summer to stop an engine from overheating.. once again I wonder if that really makes enough of a difference. It might reduce the engine temp by a couple degreex.. but if the thing is running +200 degrees (overheating) then what's a couple degrees? lol

The blower fan does use more electicity when it's on high so, in theory the alternator is working harder when it's on. But again the % used is a fraction of what's available. Bottom line you won't notice ANY better/worse fuel economy whatever you do with the heater.

Now the AIR CONDITIONER is a whole nuther ball game, because that is a pretty big compressor it needs to turn..
Old 12-13-2006, 09:34 PM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

If you have a thermostat the heat on or off will
have no effect.

The blower for the heat/air runs on ELECTRICITY.
If you have the fan on HI you will put more load on
the alternator, so in effect more load on the motor.
If not on HI there will be no effect.

The vents save the fan a little. But it is like the dumb
people who drive around with no lights thinking they
are saving electricity/money. Basically, no difference
to the motor which is generating the electricity.

Just drive the car, put in gas, and enjoy it.
Get better mileage by having it in tune and
buying the right grade gas, which unfortunitely
costs more.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Heater on/off will have a neglible effect.

The fan will draw the same no matter what setting you have it on. There's this little thing called a resistor that determines how fast the motor itself will turn. Think any automaker will use expensive (relatively) voltage regulators instead of a $0.000001 (maybe slightly exagerated...probably costs less) resistor?