General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why the regular open-diff BMWs can do a donut more easily than Mustangs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:58 AM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Why the regular open-diff BMWs can do a donut more easily than Mustangs?

Those regularBMWs (non M version) also don't have LSD, they have the same open differential that's on 05-07 Mustang V6. Similar power, same near-50/50 wightdistribution, but they aremore tail-happy than the Mustangs?

Because of the different final drive ratio? Because my rear tires have too much gripe? I'm just curious.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 02:15 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Why the regular open-diff BMWs can do a donut more easily than Mustangs?

Why not just reopen your original thread: https://mustangforums.com/m_2427284/tm.htm
Old 01-02-2007, 02:19 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Why the regular open-diff BMWs can do a donut more easily than Mustangs?

i dont understand. you really cant get a open diff car too tail-happy from the power.

mainly just from side G-forces are when they start to break loose.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:31 AM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

i dont understand. you really cant get a open diff car too tail-happy from the power.

mainly just from side G-forces are when they start to break loose.
This is done on an old 325i

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cQbLqV9IiW8
Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I can do that with a 4-banger Mustang. What are you looking to find out?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:56 AM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

I can do that with a 4-banger Mustang. What are you looking to find out?
Really? But I can't! Why? Am I doing it wrong?

I only use the 1st gear, am I supposed to change to 2nd gear? I have the car for less than a month, it only has 900mi on it. Is that because my rear tires have too much gripe? So, my 07 Mustang V6 can do what you saw on that clip, right?

EDIT: It's a V6 with pony package, 5spd manual.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:28 AM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

Okay I found this 05 Mustang V6 doing a donut, he seems to be able to lose the back end very easily. Why? I must not doing it right. Not to mention his is auto, mine is 5spd manual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsA5UUKZOpY
Old 01-02-2007, 02:04 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

So, what are you doing wrong? Post a video of YOU doing a donut in your Stang

And, yea......
ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

Why not just reopen your original thread: https://mustangforums.com/m_2427284/tm.htm
Old 01-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Wild_Side

Turn the wheel, tach it up, dump the clutch in 1st. Make sure your traction control is off if you have it on your car. I could do donuts in my 4 banger 2.3 ranger that I had when I was 16, and it was an auto.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:46 AM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

I asked the guy who did that in the video on youtube, he said he used e-brake to do the 180 turn. Wow! I didn't think of that. I thought the handbrake technique is only for FWD cars. I gotta try that next time.

Quick Reply: Why the regular open-diff BMWs can do a donut more easily than Mustangs?