General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Pump and Convertible Tops

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 09:03 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default Fuel Pump and Convertible Tops

I am still looking at cars for sale. I have noticed these couple of things and need some input.

I test drove 2 cars, both convertibles. One was a 97 GT and the other a 98 V6. Both of them have a high pitch sound coming from the back of the car near the muffler. To me it sound electronic related but I am not sure because I never listened to all the previous ones before. I asked one salesman about it and he said it was the fuel pump. I don't know if it's true or not. What do you think?

Then on quite a few of the convertibles I have noticed wear on the canvas tops where the top of the driver door windows would graze the edge of the roof and create wear/tear to cause fraying. Does the manufacturer not install them correctly or are the owners doing something wrong?

It's been two months of hard looking and I am starting to think a convertible is not worth having because the ones I have looked at are about 7 years old and they either have holes in them, starting to crack, fraying from doors/windows, or are moldy looking. Then, to replace them, it's about $1,000. [&:]
Old 10-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Jeffs_GTstang

Default RE: Fuel Pump and Convertible Tops

Yeah that sound is the fuel pump. My '96 GT does the same thing and it drives me nuts. Im thinking about replacing it. Also, for a convertible that age, it is normal to see wear like that in the top. My top has quite a bit of wear just from being used so often, but it is still effective is keeping the car dry/warm etc...If the top looks so bad that you need to change it, you can buy a brand new one for like, $150 (without the rear window). I think mustangsunlimited.com sells them. Good luck