General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

gear ratios and top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:55 PM
richs347
1st Gear Member

Default RE: gear ratios and top speed?

Here are some charts to look through...

Mustang are certainly not as aerodynamic as the Corvette.At 140 the vehicle becomes verylight(been there on a stock GT body). I wouldn't want to push it past that without adding more downforce, and that would require more hp to then get to that same level (Air resistance is not your friend and the Mustang is more of a brick than a wedge.). Gearing is also extremely important for a top speed run. On the Corvette, I believe the top speed is obtained in 5th gear (still a pulling gear), and not in 6th gear. A tall overdirve gear will make it hard to accelerate for a top speed run.

http://mustangpartstech.com/MPHRPMCalculations.html
Old 02-07-2007, 11:52 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jothmano

Gears don't control top speed. Your car does! First, If you don't take off your speed limiter you won't go higher than 120 I believe and after that Gears will only drop your top possible speed form like 180-170 or 160 but without any heavy suspension mods, your car will blow up, or float away going over 140mph. If people say they've gone over that w/o any mods they're lying or their car was starting to take off like a plane when they were in it.
Hmmm I don`t know about that. I had a stock `97 Z28 A4 2:73 gears, & I was doing an indicated 140mph one night on a long stretch of turnpike, just to see what she could do. The car was rock solid in steering/handling. I don`t think my 5sp `00 GT vert could do that ( & I don`t intend to find out either ). Going that fast is not fun IMHOP[:-]
Old 02-08-2007, 06:07 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Gears don't control top speed. Your car does! First, If you don't take off your speed limiter you won't go higher than 120 I believe and after that Gears will only drop your top possible speed form like 180-170 or 160 but without any heavy suspension mods, your car will blow up, or float away going over 140mph. If people say they've gone over that w/o any mods they're lying or their car was starting to take off like a plane when they were in it.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:11 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I definitely disagree. If you have a speed limiter then you're stuck w/o a chip or tuner...Agreed. But take 300hp car, any car. Run that car w/ a steep gear like 4.10's and a higher OD like .80 (road race TKO comes w/ it). That car will physically max out long before the same car w/ a .63 OD and 3.27's. Gears have a lot to do w/ top speed.