General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What do I need to add ABS to my SN95?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:13 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default What do I need to add ABS to my SN95?

Hey everyone;

As some of you know I have been working on an intense project called 95' Mach1. The name pretty much sums it up as to what I am trying to do.

My question is "What parts do I need to convert my non ABS equiped stang to an ABS equiped stang?"
I am still not 100% sure if I want to go with ABS, I have to ask some more questions about that too but if I do decide to do it then I want to know what I must have.

With the power of the Mod Stroker I figure ABS might be a good thing to concider. The 95' Cobra rear suspension that I bought for my lil V6 makeover had ABS hookups and I disconnected them under the rear seats to remove the unit, so that is at least ready. But what do I have to do to the front of the car? Is this going to be an entire brake swap including lines, booster and other parts or simple plug and play parts?

I am going to also post a poll about this saying "Which is better for a high horsepower Street/Strip/Course Stang? ABS or no ABS?"

Please post your poll there and give me some opinions here. Give me the Pro's and Cons of ABS on a multi-purspose car. I am shooting for 500-525bhp on a NA 4.6L stroker and I am going to have 4.56 gears. Its not really going to be a hiway car so I dont mind the gears.

If you guys need a breakdown of what I am going to do to my car again I can give you the info again.

-Eric-
Old 02-02-2007, 08:34 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What do I need to add ABS to my SN95?

Ok, you posted the same question twice with different wording..

ABS in truth is really an electronic crutch to help dumb people stop their cars safer. Really. If you know your car and know it's braking limits, AND your cars braking system & tires are in good shape, ABS won't help you. With ABS an average Joe driver can mash both feet on the brake pedal & still be able to steer the car to avoid obstacles. A "good driver" can do that without the electronic ABS crutch

Old 02-02-2007, 09:34 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I agree with Grey. Given that it sounds like you are putting a lot of work into your car what are the chances that you will be driving in bad weather. IMO I would put your time and $ toward something else on the car.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:48 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

You will need the entire ABS system from a doner car. Sensors, wiring, ECU, break system, ABS pump and probably a ton of other stuff. IMO it is not at all worth the hassle.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

I would never attempt to switch over to abs unless I had a complete donor car. Even then the amount of work vs the benefits would not be worth the effort.

There is no doubt abs is safer but it's not for dumb people. In a panic situation abs wins every time.

Threshold braking always leaves 3 brakes at a comprimise. On a road course you'll be maximum braking just shy of any one tire locking up. If one does what do you do. Release a bit. Now you've just slightly released all 4 brakes because one was locking up. Some may argue that the brake balance was incorrect but no one balance is correct. What may work in one braking zone will not work on the next. There are crests, left sweeps, right sweeps, goodasphalt, bad ashpalt, rain, snow,downhill etc.

ABS will allow FULL braking on all 4 brakes no matter the conditions thrown at it.
Another reason is abs cars have shorter stopping distances the non abs cars.

Now remember I'm not supporting the swap. It's a lot of work for so little. I just wanted to point out some reasons from the other side.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:50 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

You'd better off buying a stang with it than converting. It is waaaaaaay too much stuff to change over.

Ryan
Old 02-03-2007, 11:26 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jfsram

I would never attempt to switch over to abs unless I had a complete donor car. Even then the amount of work vs the benefits would not be worth the effort.

There is no doubt abs is safer but it's not for dumb people. In a panic situation abs wins every time.

Threshold braking always leaves 3 brakes at a comprimise. On a road course you'll be maximum braking just shy of any one tire locking up. If one does what do you do. Release a bit. Now you've just slightly released all 4 brakes because one was locking up. Some may argue that the brake balance was incorrect but no one balance is correct. What may work in one braking zone will not work on the next. There are crests, left sweeps, right sweeps, goodasphalt, bad ashpalt, rain, snow,downhill etc.

ABS will allow FULL braking on all 4 brakes no matter the conditions thrown at it.
Another reason is abs cars have shorter stopping distances the non abs cars.

Now remember I'm not supporting the swap. It's a lot of work for so little. I just wanted to point out some reasons from the other side.
Yea modern electronics can be a wonderful thing and I can imagine the raceing industry could design a purpose built ABS system optimized for racetracks. I can see it now that they could even have a catalogue of ABS programs for every track you race on to, so when you get to your course you can plug in the ABS program optimized for that course. It's all part of evolution I suppose.. where is it going though?

Kinda the same I hear there are electronic aids designed to help guys at the dragstrip to acheive perfect takeoff's when the light goes green.. maybe as far as having an electronic camera eye watch the tree for you(?)

Maybe I'm old fashioned I don't know.. but personally I'm not excited to see the "human element" being slowly replaced with software. Maybe in another 30 years some of the cars your racing against on the racetrack won't even have a driver anymore

Old 02-03-2007, 12:15 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: JD1969

You will need the entire ABS system from a doner car. Sensors, wiring, ECU, break system, ABS pump and probably a ton of other stuff. IMO it is not at all worth the hassle.
+1 on that one.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:51 AM
turbosha
3rd Gear Member

o
Old 02-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

Maybe I'm old fashioned I don't know.. but personally I'm not excited to see the "human element" being slowly replaced with software. Maybe in another 30 years some of the cars your racing against on the racetrack won't even have a driver anymore

I'm old fashioned too Greystang. I have 2 60's cars. One is hot rodded quite a bit but the other is still drum brakes, 14" rims, carbureted etc.
Problem is if you are not willing to step it up, you get left behind.

If Neotokyo is racing against abs equiped cars and all else is equal. He will be the first one onto the brakes going into the corner.

Those drag racing boxes you talk about. They do have something similar. It's calleda delay box. All you do when you see the first light flash it let go of the button. The car will then launch automatically as the last yellow goes out.
This gave the delay box guys an obvious advantage at the strip.
The non delay box guys were crying foul. Eventually they separated into 2 seperate races. BOx and no box.

Quick Reply: What do I need to add ABS to my SN95?