General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

steering wheel shaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Noreen

Default steering wheel shaking

Hi, I am new to the Fourm and I am hoping that someone can give me some advise. I have a 2006 Mustang GT and I have been having a problem with the steering wheel shaking intermittenly. It started shaking about 2000 miles I took it in and they balanced the tires it was good for a short time by 3500 miles shake back I took it in they said they put the wrong weights on the tires. Took it back again after about another 500 miles they balanced the tires again not knowing the problem, when back a short time later they changed the tires they started cupping. No long after that went back again then it was one bad tire, next they tried changing the drive shaft, balaced tires again. I have been going crazy then they started well the steering wheel is suppose to shake. I called Ford they said that there is no problems reported like this. They are not doing anything. I took it back again my sales men saw the shake and he said it needed to be checked. Sheduled appointment the head mechanic said it is normal for a Mustang. I said not good enough so they brought in a engineer and he put a machine on it and said it is normal. Now I am not sure what to do or what to have them check, any suggestions.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: steering wheel shaking

There is a SSM (Special Service Message) on the tires about ride issues and developing odd issues especially in cold weather, it is on the crappy Pirellis, there is no solution as of this time, this is more than likely your issue, the only thing I could say is talk to a Pirelli dealer they would handle the warranty on them, not Ford. See what they say.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:41 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It is most likely an incompatibility between the OEM tires and the suspension architecture/geometry--I went throughexactly the scenario you relatewith a '91Supra GT Twin-Turbo16 years ago. [/align][/align]They will pretend to not believe you and pack you full of sand (the "it's normal for a Mustang" line is likely only true if edited to read "it's normal for a Mustang with these crap OEM tires"), so buy some new HP speed rated tires, have them balanced on a Hunter 9700,and send them the bill when the problem is fixed.[/align][/align]It will be a pissing match, but keep at 'em and eventually they'll pay up...[/align][/align]
Old 02-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi, I'm dealing with a front end noise myself that I'm trying to figure out but I've been told that the Upper Bearing Assembly on the front is bad. Sounds like your problem too. Have it checked out.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:07 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I hate to hear "its normal sound for Mustangs", no it ain't...what's wrong with these folks?
Old 02-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Archion
4th Gear Member

I got the its normal thing on my 99 when the rear end sounded like a banshee at only 19k miles, they said oh all v6's are like that... Turned out to be a bent axle tube, apparently very common on 7.5 rears from 95 -02
Old 02-13-2007, 04:46 PM
AP2TUDE

I would check and make sure that the wheel isn't damaged. Sounds to me like it isn't as much an issue with the tire as it is with the wheel. If the wheel itself is out of balance, then as they change the tire over and over again, it really isn't solving the problem.

Don't listen to them when they say that is normal, that is BS. If it was normal then it would have been like that the day that you drove it off the lot.

Jon
Old 02-13-2007, 11:01 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Did they put the wheels back on in the same positions as they came off? If so, I would swap front to rears. If this makes any difference, you can start to look towards the tires. I would also visually inspect the rims, because if one is bent, you can balance the tires all you want, but you can still notice the bend. Worth a shot. Also, if you know somebody else with a similar year mustang, see if he will swap wheels with you and take it for a test drive. It is a hassle, but it sounds like a better alternative to shotgunning the problem and throwing parts at your car, which is EXACTLY what dealerships will do. Alot of times, I question dealership mechanics. We get alot of people in at work who have simply given up on thier dealership.

Jim