General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rattle Can Ceramic Paint VS OE Ceramic from supplier.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:30 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default Rattle Can Ceramic Paint VS OE Ceramic from supplier.

Hey everyone;

I was wondering if that rattle can ceramic paint is as good as the stuff that you can have coated on your headers at the shop they come from. Its a hell of a lot cheaper to go with the rattle can but there has to be a reason for that. So I just wanted to know if anyone has any real world experiance or opinions about rattle can VS getting it done to the headers when you buy them.

Also, I have heard of some companies baking their headers after putting ceramic paint on, is this true and can I do it to the rattle can job for the same affect? What temp do they have to be baked at?

Thanks everyone, I really havnt had that much experiance with Ceramic paint, I apreciate the help.

-Eric-
Old 02-16-2007, 04:39 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Rattle Can Ceramic Paint VS OE Ceramic from supplier.

I also wanted to ask your opinion aboutcoating the entire exhaust system with Ceramic paint. That would better transmit the heat engine through the system to the end but would there really be an increase in any kind of performance or reliability or just good for keeping the life of the exhaust system and our feet from getting so hot?

-Eric-
Old 02-19-2007, 02:21 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

anyone?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:40 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

I`ve been to the "Jet Hot " header coating Co. in Pa., & its not a paint product that they use. Its a ceramic coating thats put on with heat & electric if I remember right. I don`t think paint-ceramic,or otherwise will work as good. JMO
Old 02-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

No the ceramic coating isn't a paint type coating.Paint uses a solvent and binder for the pigment and the binder,usually some kind of plastic,will be burned away by the heat on the head pipes.When the binder burns off,so does the pigment,even if it is some kind of finely ground ceramic.
Painting the pipes behind the collector and keeping them clean and painted will help out with cosmetic changes to the outside of thepipe but since the exhaust corrodes from the inside it won't help much to lengthen it's life.
Just like short trips are harder on the engine than long drives,short trips allow water vapor and corrosive combustion by products to be be forced into every nook and cranny of the exhaust system.Unless this is burned out by high heat it just gets in and eats away until you have leaks and holes in your pipes.Rust never sleeps.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:31 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Thats some good info to know, I'm glad that you guys could help me with that, I wont waste the money on that rattle can crap now.

-Eric-

PS. I heard that coating the inside of the header as well will help with scavanging and reduce heat even more, is it worth it and how much does that usually cost? Does hooker super comp series do it when you pay extra for the outter coat?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I just read an advertisement about a company that coats both the inside and outside of their headers but I can't remember which outfit it was.There's somebody out there though.I think it would be worthwhile.