MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   running hottt (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/250167-running-hottt.html)

95gtwifes 02-24-2007 06:42 PM

running hottt

ok here is the semi quick version. last summer my wifes gt started running hot it would never overheat but we would need to add coolant every once in a while. i only see a droplet or two every once in awhile. i changed teh thermostat which was stuck shut it only helped a very small amount. it runs great never have a problem with it so i wouldnt thinsk headgasket but i checked the compression in all the cylinders but one because i was haaving trouble getting the plug out and figured if it was good in 7 it was good in that 1 along with the running fine. there is no water in the oil or vice versa but i cant figure this out the fan spins to. i need some help. should i do a pressure test on it i dont have a guage but can get one no prob or is it possible teh rad is clogged or teh pump isnt operating properly im just shot on what to do next so some help would be great thanks.

corvetteguy 02-24-2007 07:31 PM

RE: running hot

Why do you think it is running hot?

Jfsram 02-24-2007 07:46 PM

RE: running hottt

ORIGINAL: 95gtwifes

i changed teh thermostat which was stuck shut it only helped a very small amount.
If the thermostat was truely stuck shut. Nevermind running hot, it would overheat in 5 minutes.

95gtwifes 02-24-2007 08:09 PM

the thremo was open only a small amount i put in in bouiling water and no change did the same with the new and it worked. im not sure what it could be like i said maybe rad or water pump looking for somewhere to start?

MustangMike2001 02-24-2007 08:35 PM

The system could be clogged somewhere and not letting the coolant flow freely. Flushthe whole sysytemout really good including the radiator and see if that helps.

95gtwifes 02-24-2007 09:12 PM

should i take it somewhere to flush or jsut hook up one of those hose flush kits? also would anyone recomend a pressure test or not?

corvetteguy 02-25-2007 09:18 AM

You can do the flush yourself.
But I suspect that you are not running
hot, that your gauge is not working right.

Where does your gauge register?
What is the temperature of the new thermostat?

PONY GUY 02-25-2007 12:47 PM

If you said i see a drop or two I would presure test . You can flush the coolant system your self it not that hard of a task . Also check to see if the coolant temp sensor isnt bad cauing the guage to read wrong

95gtwifes 02-25-2007 06:07 PM

the gauge is the 95 style doesnt have a temp just letters it gets real close to red i thought that it might be the gauge or sensor but am unsure how to test it on these models im a jeep man myself nice and simple. whats the best way to test the gauge and sensor without just replacing to find out thanks. i think i will do the flush a pressure test as soon as it gets a little warmer.

95gtwifes 02-25-2007 06:40 PM

i have a friend that has a screw in gauge for a mustang im gonna try that what is an acceptable temp and the thermostat is 10 degrees below factory.