General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

is oil treatment a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 01:29 AM
badkarma16
2nd Gear Member

Default is oil treatment a good idea?

so i did my oil change today. i used 10W-30 quaker state performance oil and a Fram filter. just cheap stuff. i also found this oil treatment ona shelf. didn't look too old so i open it up and that stuff was THICK! im just wondering if it was supposed to be so thick. i could hold it upside down and count to 4 before i saw anything coming out. and all i was thinking was... im going to regret this. now, i dont need any opinionated bull****, so just let me know if oil treatment is a good idea and is it supposed to be so thick? thanks, Erich
Old 03-13-2007, 09:29 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: is oil treatment a good idea?

I used to use Duralube additive with my regular oil, kind like a "poor man's synthetic" Yea I don't have a problem with oil additives. Just don't believe some of the blown-out-of-proportion claims that some of them have.

What brand is this oil treatment you found?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

There is a few nano seconds where the engine runs after start up to when you have full oil pressure and good drain back for the valvetrain.
Those thick additives increase that time and that is multiplied as the engine gets older.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Due to closer tolerances and the fact that the 4.6 engine is an overhead cam design I would stick with the lighter 5w20 oil with no additives.The lighter oil allows pressure to build quicker and therefore lube the cam lobes,followers,and lifters sooner than a heavier oil.
The tickening agent you dumped in will only increase the viscosity of the oil,making the problem worse. Here's a link you might want to look at.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 03-13-2007, 05:06 PM
badkarma16
2nd Gear Member

i used STP "oil treatment". i sure hope it doesn't make it worse. i mean i can tell that it deffinitely seems to run smoother. but this additive was extremely thick. it was almost like "pudding and maple syrup"....mixed.. lol thanks, erich
Old 03-13-2007, 06:19 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Chopper has a good point about modern OHC engines with tighter tolerances liking thinner oil. The Duralube additive I used was quite thin though.. And I think that STP stuff you used is kinda more meant to make an older "oil burning engine" not burn as much oil.

If the stuff is even older/thicker than normal because it is old,, if I were you I'd do an oil change now & get the stuff out.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:09 AM
badkarma16
2nd Gear Member

well, im hoping it isn't the age that made it so thick. b/c that doesn't sound very good. if i do another oil change, do i still have to change the filter? and what oil should i use? i did the oil change on monday.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:52 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Additives aren't necessary. Oil is manufactured with all the additives used installed. Most won't make it beyond your oil filter, putting it into bypass mode...which means it won't be filtering any oil in your engine.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:17 AM
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

those thick additives are only going to be beneficial if you are burning oil or have a bit of mechanical slop in your engine. I would not put them into an engine that has no problems.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:55 PM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

Actually on my first car i used engine restore and it saved my engine from smoking for a few weeks since the piston rings were going.

Quick Reply: is oil treatment a good idea?