General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to port match lower intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:03 PM
PearlWhiteGT
2nd Gear Member

Default How to port match lower intake

Can someone Please tell me how & what I need to port match my lower intake on my 5.0? I have never tried it & going to attempt it on my stock intake first to see how I do. Thanks!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How to port match lower intake

First get a Eastwood Catalog. Very good porting equipment. Get some different shape carbide cutters. Ball and Rounded ball with flat sides to start. Along with a porting kit from Eastwood. Aluminum cuts very easy compared to steel.Main thing with port matching is not to cut the exact size as the gaskets. Alwaysport down to about an 1/8" bigger than the gasket size. The gasket expands when torqued. You can always trim the gasket a little. Main thing is "Flow". Always keep this in mind. If it's nice and smooth with your finger then your doing good. Get rid of the casting flaws but don't grind away so much material that you blow into the water jacket. that's the one thing people do most is take away too much material. That's not the object. The object is to have a smooth finish from the top of intake port to the valves. The casting is really rough so smoothing out that stuff does wonders in performance. I did just pocket porting (first 3" on heads) on a big block and dropped a second off quarter mile time. I did the intake on an altered that my brother had and he could only do 9:15 in the quarter, once I did the intake he ran a 8:43 in the quarter. So porting does wonders. Get the good equipment, take your time, figure 20 hours on intake alone. But it's really worth it. Also get the Porting grinder with the flexable shaft. Well worth it. So have fun, don't get carried away grinding and use the sanding tips to get a nice finish. Buy 2 kits of assorted sanders. You'll need them.