General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PLEASE HELP! 69 Mustang w/ Holley 670. Need help tuning it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:53 AM
Bogalu
2nd Gear Member

Default PLEASE HELP! 69 Mustang w/ Holley 670. Need help tuning it!

I bought the car in Idaho about a month ago and drove it back to Las Vegas where I live now. For the past couple of weeks my car has been slowly getting worse. When the car was running perfect I could stomp on the gas and it would tear rubber all the way to about 40. Not too good for the tires but it was soo cool. But as time went on I would stomp on the gas and bogg down for a second or two and would start burnin rubber. As more time went on I it would get worse till finally when I would step on the gas it cuts out now. I adjusted the carb and did everything I can and it wouldn't help. I thought it was my accelerator pump but it turns out when I went to check I noticed that the screws on the cover were loose, so I titend them down and it runs better but I made my tuning all out of wack when I messed with it before. For the technicle stuff. I have a 351w all stock with a holley 670 street avenger. My float boals are right under the screw holes, leaking very slowly out butright about perfect. My 2 screws are turned about 1 1/2 out now and have tried them all the way to 5 1/2 and nothing helps. I adjusted my idle to about maybe 1000-1200 and still doesn't help. My fuel pump is brand new, my fuel filter is new, my carb is new. Everything is listed is about 3 weeks old. I cant figure this out guys. Please help. PM me or update the posts for any more technical questions. Thanks guys.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:20 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: PLEASE HELP! 69 Mustang w/ Holley 670. Need help tuning it!

If it progressively got worse, then something was worsenING, since you said it initially ran fine.If the carb tuning was out of whack and too rich, you may have been fouling plugs until it started running like crap. Pull them and look at them to see if you're burning fuelproperly first. The jetting may be off. Also, is it an original 69 351, or has it been rebuilt? Also the screws on the cover of what were loose?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:25 PM
DEALBRk
1st Gear Member

Yes, I would change the plugs. Adjust the idle air screws in as far as you can until it starts cutting up real good. Then come out with them, stopping right when it starts to level out. Try that.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Bogalu
2nd Gear Member

the engine looks to have been rebuilt. it has the heat things that the rebuilders put in to make sure the engine never got overheated. some new gaskets and so on so i thought it was a good find. I miss occasionally now so i looked at my plugs and one of em was a little wet so im assuming i got a leak somewhere. ive decided im gonna get my old engine shipped back and find a good reliable guy here in vegas to rebuild it for me. im gonna go and post a question for a knowledgeable guy that knows how to rebuild 351 windsers. thanks for the help guys. look for my new question if you know of someone. thanks.