General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got car back from shop and now I hear a noise from rearend area. >?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
sipynsyrup
2nd Gear Member

Default Got car back from shop and now I hear a noise from rearend area. >?

I had my car taken in to get the pinion seal replaced (I know.. I just dont have the time or a torque wrench to set the crush)... after I got it back the mechanic told me it sounded like my back passenger wheel bearing is going out. He didn't say much else when I started asking questions.

SO... I hear a noise now when I am driving atleast 45mph and let off the throttle. If I give it justa little bit of gas the noise goes away. It is kind of like a whinning or moaning. Whenever I press the clutch in the noise seems to go away, or not noticeable. You have to really listen to it to hear it. It isn't very loud, but you can hear it. Could this possibly be the wheel bearing, or is it more than likely the mechanic did something wrong when putting the driveshaft and pinion seal on??? I don't think I heard that noise before, but then again I always have music up.

Any ideas??? How can I check?? Could the mechanic have left something out that would do this?? Or is the crush not set correctly??

THANKS! ... I am limiting the use of my car until I know so the problem won't get worse, but then again in 2 months i am getting a full built rearend(needs to last til then).

I think I will go back to the shop and tell another mechanic that works there to check it out and if it is the rearend then THEY need to fix it for free, since it didnt make that noise beforehand. Also, when I first got it back the wheel well smelled funny. As if it was burning off rearend fluid, BUT the car was leaking bad from the pinion seal before I took it in. THe mechanic said it is probably still burning off.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:23 AM
BigTx19

Default RE: Got car back from shop and now I hear a noise from rearend area. >?

i would take it to a different shop and ask them if they can look at it and see what they say, or just take it back and talk to a manager first.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:00 PM
DesertMach
2nd Gear Member

I have found that when wheel bearings are bad or going out, they make a constant noise that can almost be felt through the frame due to the metal fragments on the bearing races, this makes me think it is not a wheel bearing.
They way you discribe it with the noise coming and going with exceleration and deceleration make me think it is gear whine. Just my opinion... if your pinion seal was bad and it was leaking did you ever check the fluid lvl? did you have the machanic change the fluid while he was repacing the pinion seal???
Old 05-04-2007, 10:58 PM
sipynsyrup
2nd Gear Member

He said he changed the pinion seal, set the crush, and then he said he filled it with rearend fluid

He acts stupid when I try and explain to him... he just says "its the wheel bearing"... GRRRRRR I hate lazy money hungry mechanics. If I would of had a torque wrench/and timei would have done it myself
Old 05-05-2007, 03:50 AM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

What in the world? My car is doing the same thing. Notice you said it goes away when you push in the clutch; this lets you conclude that it has nothing to do with the rear portion of your drivetrain, because it is spinning at a rate that is directly proportional to your rate of speed. I have no idea what's wrong with mine; we're trying to figure it out. Maybe your throw-out bearing is retiring?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:26 AM
sipynsyrup
2nd Gear Member

maybe, but I just thought it was VERY coincidental that it happened right after I had the pinion seal replaced.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:03 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

Yea man...a grinding noise started RIGHT when I got my car back from the shop last week. Push in the clutch and it goes away. No one can figure it out. I know how you feel.