MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   Mud somewhere... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/292472-mud-somewhere.html)

JenniferJ 05-20-2007 05:03 PM

Mud somewhere...

Ok embarrassingly enough I got stuck in the mud pretty bad on the last day of school. The lot I parked in (grass normally) was like soup and I stopped behind this girl in a pickup having some trouble getting through a soft area and waited until she got out of the way. When I tried to go I just spun my rear wheels and in moments had sunk my rear end into the mud.

It was pretty embarrassing but I got a push out and then driving down the road noticed a pretty bad vibration so I went to a car wash and sprayed the wheels pretty good and thought I got it all but then heading out again it vibrated again just as bad.

Any ideas where the mud is stuck? I sprayed everything I could think of.

Jen

ThisIsMyStang 05-20-2007 06:45 PM

RE: Mud somewhere...

Possibly on the driveshaft. Drive it threw a lake this time, that'll clean it off.;)

Colorado_Mustang 05-20-2007 07:42 PM

You may want to jack up the rear in the driveway to clean it out. Don't forget to clean the front as well.

Roaddane 05-21-2007 03:28 AM

Take the wheels off and clean the backsides. Even a little dried on mud in one spot of the rim will throw the balance off. While also there also check the brakes/calipers for mud.

I recently had the same problem on my Suzuki XL7. My left front had a glob of dried mud of the backside of the rim causing a vibration on the highway.

GreyStang 05-21-2007 10:56 AM

Welcome back Jennifer. If I remember correctly,, you & mud aren't strangers lol

SOHCman 05-21-2007 11:34 AM

Vibration is most likely due to mud behind the wheels.

Same thing with snow in the winter. Throws the wheel balance off. Remember the little weights they use to balance are only fractions of an ounce.

You may also want to concider getting a T-LOK differential since you seem to have to drive through mud a lot.

I live on a dirt road, so I really needed one.

Nobody is gonna help me push my pony up an 8% grade.

Looks like you would never have that problem, however.

:)

SOHC

onegreedy 05-21-2007 04:55 PM

one thing you might want to check if you cant fint any mud anywhere else is have the wheels rebalanced, spinning them in the mud it could have nocked the weights off and now your just out of balance! ! !

SOHCman 05-21-2007 10:21 PM

If the last burnout didn't knock 'em off, I'm not sure a dunking in mud would.

:)

Probably just a clump-o-mud between the spokes...

Hard to see/clean.

SOHC

onegreedy 05-22-2007 03:27 AM

uum burn outs dont actually touch the weights, mud and rocks do when you sink down. most weights are either stuck on with double sided tape or the knock on , (pressure on the rim lip). either way i have seen it happen to other cars , and i have had it happen to a 4x4 , and i have never had it happen due to doing burn outs ! !

SOHCman 05-22-2007 03:38 PM

Good point.

Pull 'em.

Clean 'em

Rebalance 'em

SOHC

PS: Just the back ones