General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Shifting up in low RPM's - taking off on 2nd or even 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 07:59 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

Default Shifting up in low RPM's - taking off on 2nd or even 3rd gear

Tech question for all of you, what happens when you take off from zero mph on 2nd or even 3rd gear does this f**k-up your engine, or when you shift up when the rpm's are low and shift up is not yet needed, my dad does this a lot with his little truck, he has it on 4th when usually I would still have it on 2nd, does this save you gas, or what does it do to a car ??? always wondered.

thanks!
Old 12-30-2004, 08:05 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Shifting up in low RPM's - taking off on 2nd or even 3rd gear

Any tech's in the house ? - come on, give it a shot!
Old 12-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Hells GT
2nd Gear Member

When im racing I usually start out in 2nd. But to answer your question, I'm not sure. I have my own beliefs but not sure if they are correct or not.[:@]
Old 12-30-2004, 10:22 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

WHy start in second? Learn to feather the clutch...

Starting second is alright, just don't want to keep the motor under load at real low rpms for too long...
Old 12-31-2004, 12:25 AM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

Yeah, why the hell would you start in second when racing?? LOL, you should try first gear.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:01 AM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

well his little truck probably red lines at 4k. dont start out in 3rd you will just burn up your clutch. Older people dont like to rev engines must be. because my dad has a manual truck and he always shifts sooner than i would also but they just baby the motor and get good gas miliage thats all i can figure.I wouldnt think that the motor is being hurt by running at low rpm's. This post is defffenity not responding to racing conditions[:'(] Trying to stick to the topic!
Old 12-31-2004, 04:42 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Hells GT

When im racing I usually start out in 2nd. But to answer your question, I'm not sure. I have my own beliefs but not sure if they are correct or not.[:@]
Hahaha dude, this explains why you got spanked by your friends fake badged Infin. G35...

Why in the world would you start in 2nd gear???????????????
Old 12-31-2004, 04:50 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

My mustang took off like normal when I started off in 3rd. My TT PGT whistled when I took off @ in a high gear from a stop.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:00 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SCARFACE

Tech question for all of you, what happens when you take off from zero mph on 2nd or even 3rd gear does this f**k-up your engine, or when you shift up when the rpm's are low and shift up is not yet needed, my dad does this a lot with his little truck, he has it on 4th when usually I would still have it on 2nd, does this save you gas, or what does it do to a car ??? always wondered.

thanks!
it won't hurt your engine unless you really lug it hard under a load while doing this. in fact, it's a good trick to use 2nd gear when there's snow or ice on the ground as the tires get less torque and won't tend to slip quite so easy either.
and yes it does save some gas, the sooner you get into the higher tranny gears, the slower the engine turns and the less gas it uses.
don't know why in the world anyone would take off in 2nd gear while racing though! LOL
Old 12-31-2004, 03:02 PM
Hells GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

ORIGINAL: Hells GT

Hahaha dude, this explains why you got spanked by your friends fake badged Infin. G35...

Why in the world would you start in 2nd gear???????????????

You know when I first saw your 1st moronic post to me awhile ago I seen your avatar and thought this guy must be an idiot, however, now I am convinced.

Quick Reply: Shifting up in low RPM's - taking off on 2nd or even 3rd gear