General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hi everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:45 PM
65tb

Default hi everyone!

im new to the forum(classic forum isnt working 4me?)
i have a stock 65non-hi performance289 and iv had itfor a while.......
its starting to show some of its age. was thinking about dropping in sumthing new.what do you all suggest? (289, 302?, member need the stock tranny to support engines power)where is the best place to find 1with a good price and quality craftmanship? or if anyone can point me in the right direction id appreciate it >>> thanks!
Old 06-04-2007, 02:39 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: hi everyone!

You have an auto or stick? An auto should get a rebuild at least, and a mild performance rebuilt is pretty much the same price as stock. For a stick, a new clutch would be a good idea. Performance clutch sets are more expensive (2x-3x as much), but are well worth it. Your 8" rear should handle any mild Windsor engine.

One thing you'll have problems with is that your 289 doesn't have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the later model Windsor engines. You can get new bellhousings, which aren't overly expensive, to upgrade to the newer bellhousing bolt pattern.

That said, what engine you get depends on your goal. For a cruiser, a crate 302 (or 331/347 stroker) topped with a good FI system (MAF system from Ford or a place like www.massfloefi.com) would be good.

Of course, you could also rebuild your 289 with some mild performance upgrades (heads, intake, cam, valvetrain, balance) and enjoy the classic power.