General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

some more general suspension questions, please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:04 PM
artisan00
2nd Gear Member

Default some more general suspension questions, please help

so ive learned a lot since ive started reading the posts here, but the more i learn it seems the more i realize i dont know yet

anyway, was just curious what 'bind' is when in the context of suspension (upper control arms specifically)? i ask becasue i was reading about replacing control arms to enhance stability and wheelhop, but some people are of the opnion that the lowers shuold be replaced but the uppers should not necessarily be.

next, what is a 'torque box'?
what about a torque arm?
and what is 3-link suspension (is that related to irs setups or something completely different)

panhardbar (versus a sway bar? - i know that is supposed to keep you flatter in turns by holding the sides together, but im not sure of the details?)

Thanks in advance,
G

Old 01-07-2005, 12:18 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: some more general suspension questions, please help

Read this:

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm
Old 01-08-2005, 03:57 AM
fastmustangs1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: some more general suspension questions, please help

Yes you should replace the lower control arms for better launching and eliminating wheel hop also. If you really want the car to handle change the rear to a 3-link setup. This means you will discard the rear upper control arms and add a torque arm and a panhard bar. And an IRS rear end is Independent Rear Suspension that means you will have each wheel moving in an independent directions up and down giving you better handling. However a IRS rear will add an addtional 70 pounds to your stang. A solid axle would be good for drag racing.
Not so good for handling since the inside rear wheel will lift on hard cornering leaving you with less traction, but can be improved with a torque arm and panhard bar. Also replace the lower control arms as well. I went with MM's lower control arms. Next I will have a panhard bar installed. Good Luck,

Matt