MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   Stall converter (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/30852-stall-converter.html)

v6mach1 01-10-2005 02:01 AM

Stall converter

Any one have one? any light shed on the subject would help....good? bad?

[IMG]local://upfiles/11325/97AF6194279C4E758693E610EC4C0E29.jpg[/IMG]

luckythirteen13 01-10-2005 02:29 AM

RE: Stall converter

i just did one. 2200rpm stall, and thats more then enough for a daily driver. it made a rediculously huge improvement to excelleration. but of course i have heads and a bunch of other hp mods. with my stock converter my car would have nothing on the bottom end untill it 3000 rpms then the rear would squat just a little as the engine hit its power band and it would surge forward. now with the high stall converter in, the converter slips and allows the engine to hit 3000 almost instantly without the car moving much so basically as soon as i put my foot down, the motor is in its power band and i have to hold on as the rear squats just a bit and my seat grabs my back. it still shifts at 5200-5300 on its own. when it does shift DAMN!! it hits the gears hard and the shift is instantanious...but then again, i have a shift kit too. i dont think its possible to shift a trans manually this fast.

i defenitely recommend one

on the down side, it wont shift into 3rd under 2800 rpms and it wont shift into 4th under 2500 rpms. it also sucks in traffic cause it always stays in the low gears. roundman says after i get my 3.73's it will shift at a lower rpm cause my gears will be shorter so that will be nice.

if havent been back to the track sense i got it. i plan to go in march so i cant tell you the difference it made in the quarter. i can say this though, my friend david did a 2200-2500 rpm converter in his nova and it shaved .5 seconds off his quarter mile and he isnt making as much power as me so im hoping for the same

schwindty 01-10-2005 02:29 AM

I as well am looking into a converter and have read a tonne of information on them. The general idea and consensus of the articles I have read and the people I talked to is that if you are going to install a converter you should go to a custom shop that is specifically for converters and get one built for your application. The generic converters from B&M and such will work but if you are going to pull the tranny out you might as well put something good in. I got quote 700 buck for a custom biult converter specifically for my tranny, gears, tire size and HP and Torque curves of my engine. They are alot more expensive than the pre fabed ones but no matter who you will talk to will say that you get what you pay for with converters. There is an article on them at fordmuscle.com I think if you want to read up on them!!

schwindty 01-10-2005 04:39 PM

Hey Lucky what did you pay for the kit and the converter in total installed? Just wondering I am doign mine soon with my own 2 hands?

import slayer 01-10-2005 05:49 PM

Get a manual valve body for your tranny if you want to contol your own shift points.

vfast 01-10-2005 07:24 PM

yep...or just have to shift points change via a chip.......guys there is no need to spend 700 on a 'vertor..if you have 400+ hp and spent alot of time on the strip then yeah....

luckythirteen13 01-10-2005 09:06 PM

i paid $100 for parts and $350 for labor. i had it done at the ford dealership

Dbeck002 01-10-2005 11:08 PM

ORIGINAL: schwindty

I as well am looking into a converter and have read a tonne of information on them. The general idea and consensus of the articles I have read and the people I talked to is that if you are going to install a converter you should go to a custom shop that is specifically for converters and get one built for your application. The generic converters from B&M and such will work but if you are going to pull the tranny out you might as well put something good in. I got quote 700 buck for a custom biult converter specifically for my tranny, gears, tire size and HP and Torque curves of my engine. They are alot more expensive than the pre fabed ones but no matter who you will talk to will say that you get what you pay for with converters. There is an article on them at fordmuscle.com I think if you want to read up on them!!

then what happens if you mod the car later and the power curve is completely different? you blow 700 bucks? i dont understand much about autos..

schwindty 01-11-2005 04:32 AM

No I am sure they still work but they will not work to its full potential. For example my car is a daily drive I am going to be running around 300+ RWHP when my car is finished well my engine anyways I will get the converter made for my setup so the peak HP and the stall match so basically I will always be in my powerband or get there in a hurry. If someday I do want to change my car or pistons it will still work just that sence my hp peak will have changed the stall will not match it 100% and in that case if I was a real picky bugger I would rip apart the tranny and get another one made. Its all what setup you want to fun, like V fast said if your running 400 HP plus there is not much use do to the fact that it jsut becomes a traction issue but sence I am going to only be running a bit over 300 I want to build a nice drivetrain so I will be able to keep up with 400 hp engines. Its a user choice kinda mod.

luckythirteen13 01-11-2005 05:29 AM

i still say get one