General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Chevy convert guy new to Fords and have ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:45 AM
mercury267
1st Gear Member

Default Chevy convert guy new to Fords and have ???

Hey everyone. In the past I have always built early model Chevy's. Years ago I bought a 1995 Thunderbird just to use a daily driver. Recently the engine blew up and since I just sold my 67 Chevy II Nova I thought I'd make a weekend car out of the T-bird to be different. I have some very basic questions and am in hopes you guys can knock these out for me with some answers.

1- What is "modular" refering to? I am used to forged or cast in the chevy world, but never heard of a modular engine.

2- What is a "PI" motor. Chevy small blocks are all the same... they don't different versions of the same engine.

3- What is a Romeo engine. I have heard in the older Fords about clevland and windsor, which I believe is similar to small block and big block in the chevy world.

4- what is the difference than between as Lincoln DOHC 4.6 and a Cobra DOHC 4.6? I think the intake cam profiels are different along with some differences in the heads (which I think is dependant on the model year of the DOHC engine), the intake set up is different and Cobra's either have forged pistons or forged bottom ends, but is that all?

5- I am getting ready to use a 1995 Lincon Mark VIII DOHC 4.6 engine to replace the 2valve 4.6 from the T-bird. I am not looking for 500HP or anything but do plan on using a Kenny Bell blower. What else do I need to have (less the heads that I will be using from the lincoln) to make essentially a "cobra" engine below the blower? I think I need cobra intake cams, IMRC deletes from 96 -98 cobra DOHC engine and at least forgec pistons... am I over looking anything?

6- Lastly, I am getting ready to send the DOHC engine I have out for machine work. I want to O-ring the heads and balance the rotating assembly, but is there common mods I should be looking to do while I have it a part that would either fix common problems or provide a good increase? (i.e. Chevy guys tend to port and polish their heads, bore our the cylinder walls, and things like that).

Thanks for clearing this up for me and helping me out getting to know the 4.6

Thanks guys!

(mercury267@cavtel.net)
Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 AM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Chevy convert guy new to Fords and have ???

1-modular is basically another word for OHC
2-PI i believe stands for power improved. Basicly the same motor with a better set of heads/intake, im not sure if the cam is the same
3-romeo engines were produced at the romeo plant, windsors from windsor pland and clevelands from cleveland
hopefully someone can answer the other questions for you, i dont know too much about the 4.6's.
if you dont get a response try the 4.6 section
Old 07-20-2007, 07:24 PM
redconvert

PI= Police Interceptor...Welcome to the world of Ford. And thanks for admitting to be a former Chevy guy. I believe the differences of why I hated Chevy so much has gone by because of technology, gone are the days of spun bearing and noisy valvetrains, adjustable valvetrains leaky motors. Ask any manufacturer why ford parts are so expensive, they will all tell you the truth, Ford parts have tighter tolerance than any other American manufacturer-machine work=$$$. Its not that there are more Ch%#ys out there, its the machine work of a fine tuned motor. Yes Ford is a pain in the *** because they have so many different bellhousings but that was so they could fit these motors in tighter engine bays and tranny tunnels to save weight. Ford motors hardly went over 400 horespower from the factory, but every other manufacturer had some car with a big block that made some huge amount of horespower to fit in some gigantic engine bay with foot wide heavy fenders...and right along side is a hearty little ford reving right next to it. So thankyou for joining the Ford family and we all will be glad to answer your questions...I may be new here but ive been building Fords for 17 years.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Doomtroop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redconvert

PI= Police Interceptor...Welcome to the world of Ford. And thanks for admitting to be a former Chevy guy. I believe the differences of why I hated Chevy so much has gone by because of technology, gone are the days of spun bearing and noisy valvetrains, adjustable valvetrains leaky motors. Ask any manufacturer why ford parts are so expensive, they will all tell you the truth, Ford parts have tighter tolerance than any other American manufacturer-machine work=$$$. Its not that there are more Ch%#ys out there, its the machine work of a fine tuned motor. Yes Ford is a pain in the *** because they have so many different bellhousings but that was so they could fit these motors in tighter engine bays and tranny tunnels to save weight. Ford motors hardly went over 400 horespower from the factory, but every other manufacturer had some car with a big block that made some huge amount of horespower to fit in some gigantic engine bay with foot wide heavy fenders...and right along side is a hearty little ford reving right next to it. So thankyou for joining the Ford family and we all will be glad to answer your questions...I may be new here but ive been building Fords for 17 years.
Well then, if you have 17 years of experience, maybe you can answer some of his questions??
I know I would help him if I had that experience with ford cars...

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:24 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Welcome guys. I may have missed you in the introductions. I will allow more knowledgable folks to answer your questions.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:21 PM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redconvert

PI= Police Interceptor...
"the Power Improved head casting from 1999-and-up and the dated round-port head from 1998-and-back. Ford calls it the non-PI head"
Old 07-20-2007, 11:39 PM
mercury267
1st Gear Member

Everyone, thanks for the warm reception to the blue oval. I appreciate your input on my output questions. I will also check into the 4.6 threads to see if some specifics to the DOHC engine and the Cobra and Lincoln differences can be more closely examined.

Thanks again to all!
Old 07-21-2007, 01:06 AM
redconvert

...um doomtroop there is no need to answer his questions, 1991lx5.0 answered his questions and I just made the correction of PI. Your two cents are a little bitter i think.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mercury267

Hey everyone. In the past I have always built early model Chevy's. Years ago I bought a 1995 Thunderbird just to use a daily driver. Recently the engine blew up and since I just sold my 67 Chevy II Nova I thought I'd make a weekend car out of the T-bird to be different. I have some very basic questions and am in hopes you guys can knock these out for me with some answers.

1- What is "modular" refering to? I am used to forged or cast in the chevy world, but never heard of a modular engine. The Modular engine was designed to cut production costs. Originally, plans for a V4, V6, V8, V10, and V12 were on the table...all from the same basic architecture. Ford currently only produces the V8 and V10. All engines are either SOHC or DOHC, with 2(S), 3(S), or 4(D) valves per cylinder.

2- What is a "PI" motor. Chevy small blocks are all the same... they don't different versions of the same engine. PI is Performance Improved when referencing the Modular. PI is Police Interceptor when referring to the FE and 385 series engines (FE is the 60's big block...352, 360, 390, 406, 427, 428, plus a few others. 385 came about in the late 60's as a 429, then 460).

3- What is a Romeo engine. I have heard in the older Fords about clevland and windsor, which I believe is similar to small block and big block in the chevy world. Big difference between new and old. Romeo and Windsor when referring to Modulars does refer to plant of manufacture, but there are small differences between them. Windsor and Cleveland are engine lines when referring to pre-Modular engines. The Windsor includes the 255, 260, 289, 302/5.0L, and 351/5.8L, all small blocks. The Cleveland engines are also small blocks, and include the 351C, 351M, and 400M. Australia also had a 302C, and the Boss 302 was a combination of the Cleveland heads on top of a 302W block. Ford big blocks were the Y-block (early 60's, includes the 292, 312) and the FE/385 mentioned ealier.

4- what is the difference than between as Lincoln DOHC 4.6 and a Cobra DOHC 4.6? I think the intake cam profiels are different along with some differences in the heads (which I think is dependant on the model year of the DOHC engine), the intake set up is different and Cobra's either have forged pistons or forged bottom ends, but is that all?

5- I am getting ready to use a 1995 Lincon Mark VIII DOHC 4.6 engine to replace the 2valve 4.6 from the T-bird. I am not looking for 500HP or anything but do plan on using a Kenny Bell blower. What else do I need to have (less the heads that I will be using from the lincoln) to make essentially a "cobra" engine below the blower? I think I need cobra intake cams, IMRC deletes from 96 -98 cobra DOHC engine and at least forgec pistons... am I over looking anything? The early Mark VIII engines were Italian built and have stronger blocks due to the metal content and design (additional webbing). This is only true for the first 1 1/2 years of the line. Just get a forged rotating assembly, as it will be better than any of the stock assemblies, with possible exception of the 03/04 Cobra engines.

6- Lastly, I am getting ready to send the DOHC engine I have out for machine work. I want to O-ring the heads and balance the rotating assembly, but is there common mods I should be looking to do while I have it a part that would either fix common problems or provide a good increase? (i.e. Chevy guys tend to port and polish their heads, bore our the cylinder walls, and things like that). The heads will be the weak point of the engine from a performance stand point. Do as much porting and polishing as possible.

Thanks for clearing this up for me and helping me out getting to know the 4.6

Thanks guys!

(mercury267@cavtel.net)