General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4.10 gears gone after 3 months

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:09 AM
mb7756
1st Gear Member

Default 4.10 gears gone after 3 months

I had ford 4.10's installed by a shop in May. Shortly after, I heard a "tick" sound each time the wheel went around when the car was warmed up. I brought it back to the installer, and they were like "It's your brakes, I think your rotor is warped". So I let it go...but then I heard a creaking noise from my steering so I brought it into a dealer to have that repaired (a TSB was sent out to dealers because this was a known problem). I also told them about the ticking sound, and hoped that they would just figure it out and it would be covered under the factory warranty. They took care of the steering problem, and then they said "we need to order some parts to take care of the ticking sound"...so I got my car back from the dealer after 9 days with a new bearing kit in the differential, and the sound was worse then before (but the steering sound was fixed ). So I took it right back, and said "it's worse than before". Six days later, I got the car back and "whala", I now have stock 3.27 gears in the rear end. They also gave me a free rear brake job since it took so long, which is cool.I guess the 4.10 installer didn't do their job correctly (even though it took 4 days and cost me ~$350 for the ford gears and another $300 for the installation). It sucks from a financial perspective that I blew so much cash getting 4.10's installed to just have them replaced (for free) back to stock, but honestly, I'm glad they are gone. I drive around 75 to 80 on the highway frequently,and the rpm with 4.10's at those speedsaverages 2500-3000. The engine was getting additional wear and tear, the car was much louder, and first gear lasted about 2 mph if I wasn't hammering it (auto), and for some reason, it seemed that each gear was held much shorter making additional shifts that would have been unnecessary with stock gears. I highly recommend keeping stock gears- I enjoy driving the car much more with stock gears than with the 4.10's. The risk of getting them installed, and the driveability cost, isn't worth the benefit. Look somewhere else for power- it's more effective and efficient if you drive your car anywhere other than a track.

-04 gt automatic convertible w/16,300 miles
K&N filter w/silencer removed, dyno tuned with diablosport predator, SLP loudmouth 1 catback, BBK UDP's, stock 3.27's
Mods within next 6 months: LT headers and catless midpipe, headwork

Dyno @ wheels with dynojet: 237 HP, 282 torque

Old 08-16-2007, 12:36 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.10 gears gone after 3 months

3.27's aren't a bad gear, but gears also work better when matched to other engine components. More gear works well with more cam and heads which gives you more rpm etc.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

They weren't installed right. Get 3.73s end of story[8D]
Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mb7756

I had ford 4.10's installed by a shop in May. Shortly after, I heard a "tick" sound each time the wheel went around when the car was warmed up. I brought it back to the installer, and they were like "It's your brakes, I think your rotor is warped". So I let it go...but then I heard a creaking noise from my steering so I brought it into a dealer to have that repaired (a TSB was sent out to dealers because this was a known problem). I also told them about the ticking sound, and hoped that they would just figure it out and it would be covered under the factory warranty. They took care of the steering problem, and then they said "we need to order some parts to take care of the ticking sound"...so I got my car back from the dealer after 9 days with a new bearing kit in the differential, and the sound was worse then before (but the steering sound was fixed ). So I took it right back, and said "it's worse than before". Six days later, I got the car back and "whala", I now have stock 3.27 gears in the rear end. They also gave me a free rear brake job since it took so long, which is cool.I guess the 4.10 installer didn't do their job correctly (even though it took 4 days and cost me ~$350 for the ford gears and another $300 for the installation). It sucks from a financial perspective that I blew so much cash getting 4.10's installed to just have them replaced (for free) back to stock, but honestly, I'm glad they are gone. I drive around 75 to 80 on the highway frequently,and the rpm with 4.10's at those speedsaverages 2500-3000. The engine was getting additional wear and tear, the car was much louder, and first gear lasted about 2 mph if I wasn't hammering it (auto), and for some reason, it seemed that each gear was held much shorter making additional shifts that would have been unnecessary with stock gears. I highly recommend keeping stock gears- I enjoy driving the car much more with stock gears than with the 4.10's. The risk of getting them installed, and the driveability cost, isn't worth the benefit. Look somewhere else for power- it's more effective and efficient if you drive your car anywhere other than a track.

-04 gt automatic convertible w/16,300 miles
K&N filter w/silencer removed, dyno tuned with diablosport predator, SLP loudmouth 1 catback, BBK UDP's, stock 3.27's
Mods within next 6 months: LT headers and catless midpipe, headwork

Dyno @ wheels with dynojet: 237 HP, 282 torque

i can not put into words how much i disagree with you right now.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:10 PM
URLACHER54
2nd Gear Member

had to have been installed wrong because the Ford gears are great
Old 08-18-2007, 11:52 PM
mb7756
1st Gear Member

I never disputed the quality of ford gears...I'm just saying that I spent over $700 on the gears and installation, and due to an installation error I'm now out the cash and I'm back to stock gears. I'm also just saying that it's easier on the engine and ears with an auto if you drive on the highway frequently. Idid notice a significant difference with the stock gears installed again (I miss chirping them when it shifts into second!) but the lower rpm makes for a more relaxed ride. Don't get me wrong- I've been on the 1/4 mile tracka few times with my last car and I'm all about straight line performance, but it is taxing with 4.10's on the road (IMO). Don't forget, stock 2002 trans am's come with 2.73's. Plus, with 4.10's, the tranny needs to shift into 4th gear to finish the 1/4 mile (with my setup as of right now), so that's one more shift needed to finish, which may not be necessary with 3.27's.I'm getting headers and a catless midpipe next month, plus I took out the spare tire and only fill the gas tank up 1/2 way (at most), so with those mods and weight reduction I should keep up with similar rides to what I haveif they have 4.10s. Also, when the auto tranny shifts into overdrive with 4.10's, the shift seems unusually hard- I found myself disabling overdrive in town because it was a hard shift, and also because it shifted into OD at like 28 mph. It was really annoying when it went into OD. And just a friendly FYI, I bought and automatic on purpose- my previous car was a new 04 2 door civic ex with a 5 speed- I drove it 50K, and was so sick of shifting, I couldn't get another standard. Where I live, the traffic is terrible, and the costs of having a standard around here are much more then the benefits. Standards are wonderful if you ever "get room to move", but that rarely happens here in Rochester. I only drive my 4.6 on the weekends when its dry out, so it's only going to get faster over the years since I won't get rid of it due to wear.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:54 PM
aru_next
2nd Gear Member

the ford gears are great, if you wernt launching the hell out of it then it was just put in wrong