Introduction and Need a little help ('95 GT) - MustangForums.com

General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Old 02-05-2005, 12:36 AM   #1  
EladEflow

Default Introduction and Need a little help ('95 GT)

I just wanted to introduce myself to a group of people who know infinitely more than I do when it comes to the Ford Mustang the came into my life. I'm a Premed student at Ohio University and right before I started my first quarter my Dad let me in on the fact that he bought my aunt's babied '95 Mustang GT. She let him have it for $2000 and it has been absolutely babied it's entire life, it only has 79,000 miles on it.

Well when I aquired it we immediately noticed that the engine was being held back somewhere, I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the word but I do have some common sense and some general knowledge of cumbustion engines. Well he was deployed to Korea before we could thoroughly look into it. So I figured I'd change the plugs and wires because by the look of the top of them they looked really old and they were pretty rusted. Well the actual metal at the bottom (Don't know the name) they all looked greyish/tan so the mixture seemed right. But I pulled one plug out and it had a chunk of carbon completely bridging the gap. So I'm sure that the cylinder wasn't firing at all because the electricity would of simply traveled through the carbon instead of jumping the gap. So the new plugs and wires really made a big difference but it isolated a problem she said she's had since she bought it new in '96. She said it's always been "jerky." She took it back to her dealership a few times and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it but went ahead and replaced the motor mounts. Well still after 79,000 miles it still exists, it seems to either be in the tran or drive train. I guess I should explain the problem....

Under slow acceleration the problem shows itself the most, while under heavy acceleration you don't see it at all, it seems at around 25, 35, and 45 it vibrates like you're going over rumble strips. It seems like it's the transmission hesitating as it shifts but I don't know much about the innards of an automatic transmission.

Well hopefully you guys can give me a general idea of what's going on and any tips for a 19 year old as he enters the "real world" with his '95 GT. I really want to take care of this car.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read through this quite wordy post.
EladEflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 01:41 PM   #2  
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Introduction and Need a little help ('95 GT)

Ask your aunt if she ever had the transmission serviced, that is has the fluid and filter in the trans ever been changed since she bought the car. If it has not, then I would suggest you get this done and see if this helps with the vibration you say appears to be coming from the tranny. you should also get the tranny shop to check and adjust the internal pressure in the trans to make sure it is up to specs so it shifts smoothly. also ask your aunt if she has the maintenance records for the car, that is, the receipts for any normal preventive maintenance work she had done on the car when she owned it. this will help you decide what else might need to be done to it now. you might want to conside a good basic tune-up which would include changing the spark plugs and plug wires, the distributor cap and rotor, the fuel filter, the air filter, and cleaning the throttle body and the IAC. also check the timing and idle rpms and set these to specs.
roundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:39 PM   #3  
EladEflow

Default RE: Introduction and Need a little help ('95 GT)

Thank you for the informative post,

I have done most of the things on your list already, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, will try to get the fuel filter taken care of soon. Now I'm not sure on how to check timing, how to adjust idles, and I'm not sure what an IAC is. Also I've read on here to clean the MAF, I'm assuming this is the Mass Air flow sensor?

I'm also not sure what cleaning a throttle body entails.

I appreciate all of your help
EladEflow is offline   Reply With Quote