General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do I have to go to a dealer for a 2nd Key???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 02:40 PM
97Cobra

Default Do I have to go to a dealer for a 2nd Key???

Hello All,

Since I imagine some of you have knowledge about Ford dealers and such, I figured you might know about this:

When I bought my Cobra, it had one set of key/keyless remote. I ordered another remote off eBay and have it reprogrammed and working.

Now, since I have only the 1 key, dealers say I have to have them program the computer. Is that true, or can I do it myself. I would rather not pay them the $100 bucks. I can get uncut transponder keys off eBay as well for cheaper then the dealer. I know if you have 2 keys and want to add more, that is easy and in the owners manual. It gets a little trickier if you only have the 1, so it appears.

Anyone ever done this before? Know if I can do it myself?

Thanks,
~Erik
Old 02-05-2005, 03:49 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Default RE: Do I have to go to a dealer for a 2nd Key???

I have the factory anti theft system and I just went to the hardware store and got extra keys made. So I'm assuming the Cobra has some special key then? [sm=smiley24.gif]
Old 02-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Nah, my car has it too...the key with the chip in it... It was like $60 from Ford... (I got it for free) They also needed 2 keys when I got my alarm installed....
Old 02-05-2005, 04:48 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

I don't know if you can do it yourself, I doubt it. I was going to make an extra copy of my key to leave at my mom's house and the dealer said I couldn't just take it anywhere and get one copied because of a security chip within the key. If the dealer doesn't do it for me, then my car won't start with the new key and it could damage the whole CPU system.

I have an 00 v6 though, I don't know about the older cobra's security setup and whatnot.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:30 PM
97Cobra

Yeah ... mine has the factory theft system on it as well. Basically what I know is it loads each key's transponder (chip) code into the computer when you program it. I would rather not screw that up .. but, I'd rather use the $100 on another mod then this ... but sounds like I'm stuck paying the dealer [sm=smiley6.gif]

Any of you watch what they did when they did this for you? Just curoius.

~Erik
Old 02-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

As it turns out, for some model Mustangs, (at least 96 and 97), you need only one key. (I bought blank transponder keys on eBay for $10 each). All you need to do is place the one working key into the ignition and turn it to ON (START) until the THEFT light turns off. Then, you have 15 seconds to place the new, cut, unprogrammed key into the ignition. The THEFT light flashes for 2 seconds and then turns off. It is now programmed.

I tried this also on my buddy's 99 GT but it didn't work. THIS one needed a second key. I found (I think) a way to confuse the computer into thinking I had actually 2 keys. The programming method is the same as for the 96, but it requires you to begin by placing 2 different and fully working keys in the ignition to let the computer go into programming mode. I don't know much, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the sensor on the ignition KNEW the two keys entered were different, if they were both fully functional. Since the transponder functions as a resistor of sorts, I thought that perhaps every transponder had a unique resistance, which the ignition sensor could detect in the signal response, so I used one key in the following manner: Placed the key in the ignition, turned to ON (START), and then took it out, then (in less than 15 seconds), placed a small magnet (a fridge magnet on the end of the key should work--I used the small magnet form a portable chess game pawn worked for me), and insert the key into the ignition and do the same again--turn to ON (START) and then took it out. NOW, the computer was in programing mode, and I could enter the cut and unprogrammed key and the 'stang programmed it! We (my buddy and I) were both amazed.

For what the dealer charged a ridiculous amount of money, it can be done in about 45 seconds for no more than $12.

Has anyone else has heard of a similar trick? Am I the first? THANKS!

Cheers, from Sunny Miami,
gaspi.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

If what I said above proves to work for everyone, I think that MUSTANG owners are not going to EVER go to the dealer to get ripped off with keys.

HEY: 97'COBRA: check this out: http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php . You have 97 stang. You do NOT, I repeat, do NOT have to take it to the dealer as your model only requires only one key to reprogram a second. Let me know how it turns out for you. Good luck!
Old 02-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Hey, 79COBRA, I just realized: We have the exact same car!! How about that!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Any replies? What happened to your Key, 97COBRA? Did my method work for anyone?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:40 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

I didn't know that. I thought you had to get a blank and have the transponder key programmed either at the dealership or a local locksmith.

Quick Reply: Do I have to go to a dealer for a 2nd Key???