General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How hard is it to make a Fox body mustang do 200 MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How hard is it to make a Fox body mustang do 200 MPH?

ORIGINAL: tireboil25

I think everybody missed out on the cheap part. Your gonna need nitrous. Its way cheaper than a blower or a turbo even if it's not my first choice there's no dispute in the hp to dollar ratio. Only prolem is I'm not sure an HO block would hold enough ponies to get it there. It may hold 650 or 700 a couple of times. Hey the other day i saw a guy with an old rusted cutluss that had a 350, a tractor turbo and a whole lot of pvc run a 7.20 in the 1/8. If he could pull that with a junk tractor and 10$ worth of pvc anything can happen. I say if you make it fast he'll be happy.
realistically though...your talking about like a 300hp shot of nitrous for quite a while while staying in a high gear the whole time. nitrous doesnt last forever, one 10lb bottle in the trunk would not be nearly enuff to get it up there either. its not gonna be like gone in 60 seconds where he hits the juice at 120mph and instantly goes to 180.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:07 AM
tireboil25

Hey they make set ups bigger than 300hp. normally I wouldn't argue but theres plenty of cars out there that shoot from 0-160 pretty fast. Again though I think your not gonna do it with a HO motor. And if your using nitrous it will have to be tuned in right but if you get it most of the way there on motor then spray you could make @ least one flight @200 With a couple bottles though I think this is all going in the wrong direction. If your dad is setting the car up for drags then I would say he's meaning to do it in the 1/4. He's talking pro-mod or alchohal funny car or something. That's gonna take some bank.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:16 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tireboil25

Hey they make set ups bigger than 300hp. normally I wouldn't argue but theres plenty of cars out there that shoot from 0-160 pretty fast. Again though I think your not gonna do it with a HO motor. And if your using nitrous it will have to be tuned in right but if you get it most of the way there on motor then spray you could make @ least one flight @200 With a couple bottles though I think this is all going in the wrong direction. If your dad is setting the car up for drags then I would say he's meaning to do it in the 1/4. He's talking pro-mod or alchohal funny car or something. That's gonna take some bank.
the whole suggestion for nitrous would be the cheap way to get to 600+ HP. so were talking maybe a forged 5.0 with a few basic bolt on mods (to keep cost down) its not gonna be pushing much more hp than a stock one...which in no way could shoot to 160 fast...especially if its got smaller gears and slightly larger rims/tires (for top end setup not a drag car). your probably right about wanting a 200mph 1/4 mile dragster. but realistically that would cost an insane amount of money, im sure his dad would be VERY grateful if it hit 200 period(as that in itself is a feat)
Old 10-08-2007, 06:45 AM
tireboil25

Just curious, what is ur dads history in all this? In other words what would he consider to be a fast car ? I know it sounds like a silly question but there are some people out there who get in a 13 second car and can't get over how fast it is. What is realistic in his goal and what is embeloushed? 200mph ,"agreeing with MU7", is quite a challenge and about a 180 from what a mustang is built for. I know lot of guys that claim the old trans ams would run up to 200 w/ the airplane gears they came with, but they where also completely wasted 98% of the time they were talking. Just saying is this his real goal or just a spouted out number.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Fobra
Banned

even if your mustang could go 200mph - you wouldnt want it to... this is getting tokyo drift in here
Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 AM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

Roll cage. 200 is kind of far fetched, but if you have the money I'm sure you can reach it. If I were you I would just worry about making that car a complete beast. If your dad is really into drag racing top speed won't matter much to him. Build it into a drag beast and he will be happy as hell.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:33 PM
S197_GTvert
2nd Gear Member

hmm 200 in a fox not to sure about the aerodynamics on those things but as many people have stated u are goin to need to beef up the chassis and get some tall gears hmm power adders u might wanna try a twin turbo setup adding nos to that would easy get u about 800hp with a 300shot and a few bottles[8D]and dont spair any money on saftey equipment but good luck and my thoughts are with your dad
Old 01-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Zan186
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your Father's Heart Condition but I think Mustangs are not the ideal platform to build on for top end speed. A Mustang at 200mph is a death trap. It was never built for that and the aerodynamics are definately not designed to accomodate that speed.
If you are looking for a car to get to 200 mph get a Viper or a Z06 and you can get there with a few mods. Even these cars are not exactly comfortable to drive at over 190mph. Saleen S7 or a Lambo/Ferrar Enzo type are designed to run laps at 200mph. Notice the body style is extremely aerodynamic and Saleen has incredible down pressure so It can fly at hight speeds.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:47 PM
ExtrmZ
4th Gear Member

yeah good luck with this project. be sure to post when you get it to work
Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 AM
tylerl90
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boogieman

This is a weird question, i know. But i really need to know.

The back story is.... I recently (today) found out my dad (whos 43) has "something eating away at his heart muscle".... And although we all hope and pray for the best...It doesnt look good. My dad had open heart surgery last year, and still has heart problems. And they say that if he has a heart attack, his heart is so weak that he has a very slim chance of surviving.

For the last few weeks my dad keeps saying that he "wants to make his mustang do 200MPH before he dies", and i didnt take it to seriously...until i got this news today (from other family members, Because he doesnt like to talk about it.).

I havent seen my dad face to face in 3 years, I live in oregon and he lives in alabama.

He has an 80s (85 i think..) Notchback LX 5.0 mustang, that he's been slowly working on for the last 4 years. But he hasnt really done that much to it since he has had a lot of bills, and very little money. He's worked hard all his life (as a trucker), and I have heard so many dreams of his, That he never got to accomplish.

Anyways, Long story shorter.... Im curious as to how much i can expect to spend and how hard it will be, to make a Fox body mustang do 200 mph? (i got my 89 GT up to 120 before i ran out of road..and its stock, so i assume it cant be extremely hard).....

Thanks.

Not with the 302 engine

Quick Reply: How hard is it to make a Fox body mustang do 200 MPH?