General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking at buying an 87 GT. Opinions please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Default Looking at buying an 87 GT. Opinions please?

Hey everyone. I've wanted a mustang all my life and I've had my Ranger for little over a year now and I've saved up enough to get a mustang. I found this 87 GT and would like to know what you all think like if it's worth it and stuff, with out seeing it of course. And also what certain mustang things I should check for when looking at it.

What would you guys offer for one like this? Thanks

White GT...
162K miles on body
less than 100 miles on freshend motor (New bearings, Gaskets,oil pump,oil pump shaft,timing chain
5-Speed
1.6 Roller Rockers
Shorty Headers
H-Pipe
Flowmaters and dumps
3.73 Gears
NEW FORD 6-piece Headlight set
LX Tailights
5 Lug Conversion with SN95 Spindles
Baer Brakes
Baer Proportinoing Valve
96 Cobra Wheels
Maximum Motorsports PanHard bar
Custom made Torque Arm
Caster Camber Plates
Interior almost converterd to black (No Dye) just need seats,Console,Door panels...

This car is VERY VERY TIGHT...ZERO rattles and drives straight as an arrow!

Do not NEED to sell..BUT new house will be ready iin 3 months...

Things it needs....Tires...Has rust on hatch..But comes with a Rust FREE Hatch and Paint and finish interior...Do those 4 things and have one of the nicest GT's around..

Old 10-20-2007, 05:00 PM
jlw2387
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Looking at buying an 87 GT. Opinions please?

Meh, Id save up more and get a nicer car. 162K is quite a bit on the body, and 100K is quite a bit for the engine. Its gonna have issues your gonna need to fix eventually. Dont just get any car cause you want one bad. This one seems like somebodys abandoned project.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:37 PM
fantasticfoxes

i agree save a little more then you can spend more on hop up parts instead of fixing someone elses junk
Old 10-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

It says 100 miles on the freshend motor, not 100k. I'd assume it's got the origonal motor with 162k miles, but it has had new bearings, gaskets,oil pump,oil pump shaft, and timing chain replaced. I'm wondering why you say it looks like an abandoned project though? I'm only in highschool and I don't make that much money. It's taken me a while to save up this much so I can't really afford a nice car. If you mean newer when you say nicer, I'm not a big fan of the 94-98 mustangs and I couldn't afford a 99+ mustang.. I don't mind working on them either since it's something I like to do. I might just keep looking and see if I can find one in similar condition that's cheaper..

What do you all think it's worth though?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:06 PM
BunnMan
1st Gear Member

Maybe $2500 if it measures up to all the claims. A few thingsto think about though...

1) This is no doubt somebody's abandoned project. This is a speed-density EEC system, it is not very cooperative with doing mods to the motor. '89 and later stangs have mass air EEC systems that are very copperative with engine mods.

2) Second and most importantly you mentioned you are in high school and it has taken along time to save up this much money. If money is hard for you to come by I promise you if you buy this car you will never save another dime. This things gonna eat you up in gas, insurance and parts. I have a '89 GT 5spd. with 3.73's and just calculated 15.6 mpg on my last tank. Mileage wasn't the goal for that tank but even best case I wouldn't expoect better than maybe 18 mpg.

3) Finally, if you do buy it and decide it was a mistake or you can't afford it, ...etc....you're kinda stuck. It's a high mileage muscle car that's not worth a ton of money in the first place and (no offense intended honest) very few folks will be interested in buying a mustang from a teenager. Just read through the hundreds of ads for cars for sale across the country and notice a big selling point in many of them, "adult owned". No offense my friend, it's a fact. I'd recommend putting your mustang plans on hold until you're a little more stable financially.

Sorry to be a wet blanket...God bless,

-BunnMan
Old 10-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for summing it up like that. It has taken me about a year and 3 months to save up about $3000. But I have bought stuff I in that time. But anyways, with my 92 Ranger 3.0 5spd that I have had since Aug. 06 the best tank got me a 15.6mpg so gas is no problem. Insurance will be more though. My ranger has 163k on it and it's held up good for over a year and I'm a ford person so I assumed a mustang would be just as well.

I wouldn't really plan on doing very much modding to it engine wise. What kind of difference is there between the 87 and 89+ mustangs other than how much the engine cooperates with mods? I think what I might do is wait and see if they would go down to around 3k somewhere. If they won't I'll just pass it up. Thanks
Old 10-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Ponyxpres

I agree, the car is definately a looker, but think it through. I dont know exactly how much you have or are willing to spend, but just having the hatch painted is going to cost you500-800 once they blend it in to the rest of the car. Tires are going to be another 400 at least.It looks like it is in good shape otherwise, I hardly see it as someone's junk, but make sure you know what you are getting into. Playing with mustangs is an expensive game, especially if its going to be your everyday driver. If you do decide to go for it, make sure you have some extra cash (a thousand or two) as a cushion in case something goes wrong (He didnt say anything about the trans, that could have 160k on it too). Iwouldnt pay more than3000,
Good luck in your search.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

I have someone that would paint it for the cost of suplies so that's no big deal. Tires I woudn't get the most expensive i'd get cheaper ones but not crap ones. I'm just going to have to see how bad he wants to sell it when his house he's buying is ready. That's why it is being sold.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:20 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Looks like a well thought out car overall. You will be spending some money fixing it up, though. You don't have to do it all at once, which will save you a bit. Just make sure you don't get in over your head financially. We all had to start somewhere, and most of us wouldn't have Mustang's if we were too worried about spending the money. Heck, a Civic wouldn't made more sense when I bought my '71...but, I have no regrets with the '71 and still have it. The Civic would've been long gone by now....and wouldn't have been nearly as much fun.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:10 AM
BunnMan
1st Gear Member

While you wait him out, keep your eyes open. 3K sounds like a lot of coin for a car with that kind of miles on it. Obviously someone has done some extensive modification to the rear suspension so that may be sound, or may not depending on how many miles since the mods. He said it rides good so you might have some time left on that portion. You still got front suspension, trans, rear, accessories. I know you said you don't plan on modding the motor but wait until you drive it for six months and get beat by a couple imports...you'll be tearing through Jeg's, Summit and online joints looking for more ponies! I know I am already and I thought I was gonna keep it all original . There is a mass air (MAF) conversion available for pre 89's but it goes for $600+ and doesn't make any immediate difference, only paves the way for future mods. '89 to '93 foxes don't seem to be appreciably higher priced and already come with MAF. There are lots of fox body mustangs for sale. You can afford to be really selective.

Bottom line is, it's your dough...have fun with it!

If you do buy it and money gets tight in the future you could always sell me your tail lights

Keep us posted, hope to have you in the corral soon!

God bless,

-BunnMan

Quick Reply: Looking at buying an 87 GT. Opinions please?