General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Confusion on Cold Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default Confusion on Cold Air Intakes

I have been thinking about getting a K&N filter because it's supposed to be better than your stock air filter. I don't really know what's all involved because everything on my car is stock.

I would like someone to explain why the after market products are better than stock? I am sure a lot of you will say PERFORMANCE. Also, if I put on a K&N filter do I need to change anything else?

Is this going to give me better gas mileage and is it truly worth spending $200+ for someone who is only driving it for fun on weekends.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Confusion on Cold Air Intakes

a CAI by itself is not worth the money. I too have a stock engine and after doing some research on it, the money would be better saved and spent on other minor/modest bolt-ons like headers or exhaust since that's where most of the restrictions are in a stock car. Plus there are cheaper ones than $200 you can get, MAC and BBK for example only run between $125-175.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

or ebay ones for $40 they are all the same. mandrel bent tubes, filter and clamps dont buy the expensive ones you will kick yourself for spending 5 times more then you need to
Old 02-25-2005, 09:10 PM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

yea i got one off ebay for 45 bucks shipped. it is chrome plated pipes with a washable/reusable filter, and all the clamps are flexible and are held on by ss straps. for 40 bucks, it is worth it id say.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:20 PM

a cai will help with sucking in more air, but on an other wise stock engine you won't see much of a gain worth talking about.

A cai, plenum, TB, LT headers, x pipe and mufflers... then you're talking some pretty good gains and improved breathing.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

I have gone to a lot of car shows this past year. Most of the cars, of course, are the tuners, you know, imports owned by teens and almost all of them have one.

If they aren't worth the money, then why do the imports have them?

Eventually, I'll install a better exhaust but it's not a high priority yet.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Leadfoot

I have gone to a lot of car shows this past year. Most of the cars, of course, are the tuners, you know, imports owned by teens and almost all of them have one.

If they aren't worth the money, then why do the imports have them?
what do you mean? have intakes?

Did you read my last post? The same thing applies to Imports. CAI's alone don't add much if anything at all...

But if I were to add my intake, upgrade my TB, AEBS IM, DC Sports header, and 2.5" catback, I could easily gain 5+ mpg and 5-10 horses at the crank.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:52 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I read it. I was just making an observation about the tuners. Almost every one of them have a CAI in them.

I have also noticed that it's like keeping up with the Jones'. If one person has one, they all have one. I just thought maybe they knew something that I didn't. A friend of mine who is into drifting/autocross said that I would not get much out of it as well.

But thanks for the info!
Old 02-26-2005, 05:44 AM
rscosworth

most imports at most shows have a lot more done to them than just an intake.

the only thing a K&N CAI will give you is a more noticable sucking sound from the engine. up to the point were the original intake becomes to small that is...