General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Automatically locked out!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:51 AM
b52murph

Default Automatically locked out!!

Let me begin by stating this isn't a car that I own--last weekend I was (or so I thought at first) lucky enough for the second time to pick up an '07 Mustang Ragtop (4.0 V6) as a rental car (from Thrifty) at the compact car rate. Great weekend of driving--good N.H. weather; a rarity this time of year.

On Monday morning (4:15 AM) I left for the airport to catch my 5:50 A.M. flight--a20 minutedrive, but with a need for gas in between. (gotta return the car with a full tank...) Pulled up to the gas pumps, put car into park, turned key to off, opened the door, got out, shut the door--CAR LOCKED ITSELF!! An hour and $275 later, I was back in the car--over 36 hours later I was finallyat my destination, having missed my flight and fighting overbooking problems with the airline (Delta) to geton a different flight. Trying now to get Thriftyto reimburse me the $275; alreadyreceived a $100voucher from Delta for various problems with them.

Is this a design problem with the car, or is it an electrical fault? I've owned otherFords in the past (most recently an '04 F-150) and havenever had the car lock me out with the keys in the ignition before. If it is a design problem, it seems like it could be awfully dangerous--if I had a baby in the back seat, I would have had to break glass to get in!

Thanks
b52murph

Old 10-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Automatically locked out!!

No, you're not supposed to shut the door with the keys in the car.

The computer can be programmed to not do this, though..