General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

car whines with rpms

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 10:15 PM
ryanclemens

Default car whines with rpms

My 98 mustange whines when I drive, the whine gets higher as my RPM's go up. does anyone know how I can fix this?

Old 02-28-2005, 12:02 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: car whines with rpms

I'm assuming the sound is coming from your speakers. Do you have an aftermarket sound system? Well most likely its sound system isn't grounded right, stock or aftermarket.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:06 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

stereo? no.. could be lots of things, tranny gears..rear end gears.. a belt.. its really hard to tell you will have to try and figure out which area of the car it is coming fro and work from there
Old 02-28-2005, 12:27 AM
freefall86

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

I'm assuming the sound is coming from your speakers. Do you have an aftermarket sound system? Well most likely its sound system isn't grounded right, stock or aftermarket.
Yea, I had the same thing happen to me. It would go away whenever I turned off my radio. If that's the case, take it to Best Buy and ask them to look at it, usually they'll take a look for free. The ground not being connected was why mine was doing it.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:29 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

how does rpms affect the loduness of your stereo whining... [:'(] i dont think its a stereo
Old 02-28-2005, 01:40 AM
Kooldac
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dc_mann8

how does rpms affect the loduness of your stereo whining... [:'(] i dont think its a stereo
That's exactly what I was thinking. My guess is something connected to the belt. Is one of the bairings going out on the wheels to the belt? Something like that... no clue.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:33 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

its got absolutely nothing to do with the loudness of the stereo, but it has everything to do with interference caused by some kind of wiring,, (yea, if you go full volume it is easier to hear, but thats beside the point..)

its VERY likely that this is your problem, im not sure how to solve it, but i have ridden in several cars with the exact same thing...its not loud, actually, usually you have to listen hard to hear it (usually)kinda just like a humm, or light buzz, but its very likely, like they said just take it to some place, probaly where you got everything from, and ask them to redo your ground wire, and it should clear up

this is probaly cheaper than trying the other things you guys mentioned first..
Old 02-28-2005, 12:00 PM
NAvE .Creations.

its most likely the fan belt. u might need a new one. or its the pullys because they spin faster as the rpms go up. take a look at that
Old 02-28-2005, 01:39 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I had that stereo noise in my N/A '96 PGT. I actully convinced someone it was my supercharger. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 02-28-2005, 05:11 PM
ryanclemens

I will check the fan belts. I know it is not the stereo because it is not after market. it is coming from the engine.

Quick Reply: car whines with rpms