General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Fox body fog light re-wire

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:19 PM
BunnMan
1st Gear Member

Default Fox body fog light re-wire

Just got through an easy re-wire of my fog lights on an '89 GT. I guess it's pretty common knowledge that they don't work too well stock, darn surprising the day you discover it though! Driving down the road in the black of night and poof!!! no headlights!

My cousin turned me on to an article in 5.0 magazine where they wired the fog light circuit to an additional aftermarket switch they mounted on the dash that would handle more draw than the stock one. I didn't like the non-stock switch in the car.

I used the stock switch to power a 12V relay I picked up at Advanced Auto for a few bucks. You can tap into the fog light circuit just behind the battery. There's a piece of plastic trim that covers up some wiring just to the right of the battery if your leaning over the driver's side fender with the hood up. Remove one phillips screw and pull the center lock out of one body clip to remove it. In that mess of wiring is a round 8-pin plug that's for the head/running/fog lights. The fog light wire is tan with an orange tracer. I cut in on the fog light side of the plug (as oposed to switch side) because there was more wire available on that side. Run the lead coming from the plug to the coil of the relay (terminal #85); then run a ground to the other side of the coil (terminal #86). You can swap these terminals if you need to, as long as the switched hot and ground go to these two. There's a body ground lug right there on the fender well to make that connection easy. Next run a fused lead of 16ga. or larger (emphasize LARGER) from your battery positive to terminal #87, and tie the tan/orange wire heading out to the fog lights on to terminal #30 (again #87 and 30 are interchangeable). You'll need some female blade connectors to crimp on to your wires to slide onto the male blades of the relay and two eyes, one for the connection at the battery positive and one for the ground lug on the fender well. Be sure to rap theconncetions in heat shrink or electrician's tape to keep them from grounding out. Put the cover backon and voila! Less than $15 and 1/2 to an hour later and you got fog lights that work using your stock switch without melting it or turning your headlights off while your speeding down a country road at midnight!

God bless,

-BunnMan