General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

96 Mustang Anti Theft System...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 03:19 PM
moosewilsn

Default 96 Mustang Anti Theft System...HELP!

I have a '96 V6 Convertible that has keyless entry option. About 6 months ago, I went through a car wash, and an hour later (and supposedly dry) the alarm system starting going off. I did think I heard the doors lock (or unlock) when this happened. after I hit the door unlock (or lock) it stopped, and It didn't go off that day.

about 4 months ago - car was sitting in driveway, and the alarm just started going off again. I'd hit the keyless entry, a few seconds later, it did it again. This went on for about 5 minutes, then I started the car and turned it off, few seconds later, it went off again. Finally had to pull out the horn so my neighbors wouldn't have to listen to a horn going off continuously. I put it in a dry garage and the lights flashed until the battery was dead. Recharged the battery, and no alarm problems. washed the car yesterday, and about 4 hours later, the alarm starts going off again!

I wouldn't even mind getting rid of the anti theft system if I could. But does anyone have any ideas of references where I can get a troubleshooting guide, or schematic..or ANYTHING. I'm going nuts with this!!!!
javascript:void(AddText('[X(]'))
Old 03-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 96 Mustang Anti Theft System...HELP!

I have a 96 GT convertible myself, and I have to say that I agree about the electrical system being buggy. I don't think it has anything to do with the water, however. This may be just a coincidence. What it most likely is is a bad grounding in the main electrical system. In the later year mustangs (94 and up), the wiring for the dash, headlights, power locks, keyless entry, and stereo, inter alia, are all wired together. This means that one bad ground can ***** with the entire system. I had to rewire everything when I got a new CD player, and the alarm also went off unexpectedly.

What you can do is the following: If your only problem is the alarm, follow the lead cables form alarm to the terminals in the ignition, and then through the firewall to the starter motor and battery. See if they are all sound, and find their grounds to make sure they're properly grounded.

Because the electrical system is buggy, this means that it has a tendency to "fix itself." This is caused by variations in resistence (and yes, sometimes humidity--your water factor here?). Until you can do the electrical check up, just disconect the battery when the alarm goes off. This should reset the computer and all of your electrical components should get a breather. Reconnect when you get back in the car, or later.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Gaspi