General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Port and Polish wanna do my own

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

Default Port and Polish wanna do my own

I can get sum heads and upper and lower intake basically the top of the engine for pretty cheap. i was wondering if anyone has port and polished there own engine? is it easy, it jus takes time? how perfect does everything have to be? please let me kno wats involved i really want to do this
thanks
Old 03-16-2005, 08:35 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Port and Polish wanna do my own

i hear a basic porting is easy. it basically consists of cleaning up some flashing and removing excess material. sorry i can't be of more help.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:57 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

porting and polishing is very easy with the right tools. basically all you need is a dremel and some bits. you will need some longer bits as well as some shorter bits. you will need both rough (porting) and smooth (polishing) bits for each length. the easiest thing to do is to buy you intake and exhaust gaskets for the combo. when you match the gasket to its surface, you will notice that there is a good amount of material left on the inside of the gasket at the port. what you want to do is port the port until there is little to no material on the inside of the gasket. then, you want to smooth out the roughness of the runners. you will want you exhaust runners as smooth as possible, but leave the intakes a little rough. this help mix the air and the fuel. finally, straighten out the runners. continue the area (not volume, area) of the port a good ways down. smooth out any turns the runner takes a little. the idea is not to remove as much material as you can, but rather incease the area a little and smooth out the flow of the air. be careful not to remove too much material, because you can get into water jackets, etc.

others, feel free to critique this method. it is what i learned from my auto teacher and there might eb better methods used in the racing world
Old 03-16-2005, 08:59 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

Put this link in your favorites its some good info on what your looking for http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm
Old 03-16-2005, 09:06 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

what size valves do the heads have? oversized valves would also get you more hp
Old 03-16-2005, 11:30 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

the key to a good port job and most important is the have a ports flow the same......as the 1 and 5 cyl flow the worse on the intake....bigger valve will make great improvement as doing it will unshoud around the valve area
Old 03-18-2005, 04:06 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Keeping maximum velocity is very important. Its basicly like sucking through a straw and hose. You need to suck alot harder on the hose to make the water come to you as apposed to the straw, if you can make the path as streight and clean as possible and match all the ports perfectly then you will get maximum flow and velocity, the trick is the find the sweet spot between the two.

You should get a set of heads that you can play with that you dont care too much about and do it on your own, then you should have a second set of heads "BenchFlowed" and watch how they do that. Benchflowing brings the heads to that sweet spot and is a much more advanced method of port and pollish.