MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   cam break-in (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/38802-cam-break-in.html)

souron 03-19-2005 02:04 AM

cam break-in

hey was talking to a friend of mine and he said i would need to break my cam in, and if i didnt run it at the right rpms for the break in i could kill my cam, just wondering if thats true? also any pre-start-up tips would be great!

thanx

91LXstanger 03-19-2005 02:28 AM

RE: cam break-in

keep it at 2,000rpms for a good 20-25mins.

import slayer 03-19-2005 03:15 AM

and vary the rpms too. Whatever you do... DO NOT JUST LET IT SET AND IDLE.
Another thing...make sure the engine is ready to fire up. Make sure #1 pistons is just before TDC. Excesive cranking is hard on the bearings on a new engine.
I would also pre-lube the engine if possible before starting it.

5.0mustang5speed 03-19-2005 03:18 AM

i would bone the hell out of the girl in the post above this...wonder if she likes it in the A$$...mmm yep.2000-2500 rpm 20 min

import slayer 03-19-2005 03:27 AM

ORIGINAL: 5.0mustang5speed

i would bone the hell out of the girl in the post above this...wonder if she likes it in the A$$...mmm yep.2000-2500 rpm 20 min
Hmm...not bad but her a$$ looks a little big though but some people like that I guess.
Oh...about your cam...just follow the above advise and you'll be fine.

souron 03-19-2005 05:36 PM

her a$$ is actually reeeeeeaaaaal nice! not too bug not too small, lol, oh and thanx for all the help! lol

91LXstanger 03-19-2005 07:14 PM

i guess this is the "ASS" forum!.lol.

roundman 03-19-2005 09:26 PM

A roller cam does not require the long high rpm start-up but you do want to run the rpms up in order to get splash lubrication to the cylinder walls and other moving parts so don't let it idle but don't race it up too high either.
best thing you can do before a start-up is pre-lube the motor by pulling the distributor and driving the oil pump with a dummy shaft and a drill motor until you get good oil pressure showing on the gauge or see oil coming out of all the pushrods onto the rocker arms. then put the distributor back in correctly and in time and fire that baby up!

vfast 03-20-2005 12:16 PM

roundy ..it's amazing how many people don't even do that with a new engine..

USAMuscle 03-20-2005 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: vfast

roundy ..it's amazing how many people don't even do that with a new engine..
Kids these days. :eek:

Anyway just run your engine for about 20 minutes at about 2,000 RPM and you'll be fine. It won't kill your cam if you don't break it in, but it will affect the life span of your cam and lifters. Breaking it in allows the mating surfaces to develop a wear pattern.