General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

using "instant metal" to plug up holes??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 10:48 AM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: using "instant metal" to plug up holes??

AGREED
ORIGINAL: 5.0mustang5speed

pipe plugs at the hardware store for the nitrous holes are about .10 cents each..and the bigger ones for the heads are .50 each..dont use nasty looking putty....
Old 03-25-2005, 12:50 PM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

for ****'s sake, I KNOW what you're talking about. Are you the type who sticks a sock in your fuel filler if you lose the cap? Do you use fix-a-flat for permanent tire repairs? Would you put a tube in a tubeless tire if you couldn't get the bead to seat right?

You're talking about GHETTO repair work. Just plug the hole with a brass fitting - 1) It'll look a LOT nicer, 2) if you or whoever ends up with that manifold later in life actually wants nitrous again it's easy to reverse, and 3) you won't get laughed at by any respectable person looking under your hood.

Now, since about a half dozen people have responded with nearly identical suggestions, why do you continue to wait for somebody who will give you what you want to hear? Either go ahead and put a ****ing bandaid over the hole, or listen to EVERYONE in here and fix it properly.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:52 PM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Demon_Mustang

But JB weld is two liquids and is kind of used like a glue. This is a metal repair material used to seal cracks from fluid leaks...

JB Weld is the same as what you're talking about, different chemicals perhaps, but it's not a glue either, it's a chemical weld solution that can also be tapped and shaped.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:43 PM
luckypballer
2nd Gear Member

yeah it just a epoxy http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/452354
Old 03-25-2005, 03:23 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Jeg's sells some fancy looking aluminum pipe plugs just for things like this. why not check them out at www.jegs.com ?
Old 03-25-2005, 03:30 PM
5.0mustang5speed
I ♥ Acer

also you will probaly spend about the same amount of cash about 5.00 for the plugs or the nasty putty...
Old 03-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks birdman, I'll take a look when I can.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

also you will probaly spend about the same amount of cash about 5.00 for the plugs or the nasty putty...
Um, yah, but I ALREADY have the "putty" from doing something else before, lol, so technically it's "free."

Horatio, get over yourself, there are people here who actually knows what I'm talking about specifically, and not the general category and even they say that it has been known to be used with no problems. So if you don't have any useful input, just keep it to yourself. I don't think using instant metal that can be tapped and SEAL cracks that can keep HOT FLUIDS UNDER PRESSURE from leaking through is anything like using a sock to replace a gas cap smartass. Air might not be a fluid, but it acts like it sometimes, and in FACT, air is MORE FORGIVING than fluids, so technically, if something can keep pressurized fluid from pushing through a crack, it can MORE than safely keep air that is unless LESS pressure from coming through.

Also, it'll sand down to be smooth instead of having the head of a brass bolt sticking out of my intake manifold, and it CAN BE DRILLED AND TAPPED if anyone wants to use nitrous later, and it was actually recommended by a ASE certified mechanic here, not as a first option, but I told him I already had it, so it's not like I'll be "wasting" my money on it, and he says he thinks it's perfectly fine, since it handles high temps and is capable of keeping pressurized fluid back. But I still thought of asking for more opinions from other people who might actually know.

"Now, since about a half dozen people have responded with nearly identical suggestions, why do you continue to wait for somebody who will give you what you want to hear? Either go ahead and put a ****ing bandaid over the hole, or listen to EVERYONE in here and fix it properly."

No no horatio, I'll wait for someone who have actually tried it or at the very least knows the exact specific thing I'm talking about. I've got "identicle" responses from people who are all speculating (including some which are even questioning what I'm talking about), and one smartass who is also speculating. Oh lookie there hor, someone who have used it has responded. He also suggested using a screw, but he did say it would work if I wanted to use it.

Oh look, good advice for a change, I'll take a look at a screw for the job since someone who actually knows and isn't full of himself gave me REAL advise, thanks birdman. And horatio, while I realize it's the same thing you said originally, he has actually used what I'm talking about (and hasn't had a completely horrible attitude about it) so it was better to hear it from him.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

roundman wrote:
"Jeg's sells some fancy looking aluminum pipe plugs just for things like this. why not check them out at www.jegs.com ? "

Holy smokes round, they are like $8.99, then plus their standard $8 handling fee, WHOA, I'll go to discount auto parts or something, lol. Thanks anyhow.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Demon_Mustang

Um, yah, but I ALREADY have the "putty" from doing something else before, lol, so technically it's "free."

Horatio, get over yourself, there are people here who actually knows what I'm talking about specifically, and not the general category and even they say that it has been known to be used with no problems. So if you don't have any useful input, just keep it to yourself. I don't think using instant metal that can be tapped and SEAL cracks that can keep HOT FLUIDS UNDER PRESSURE from leaking through is anything like using a sock to replace a gas cap smartass. Air might not be a fluid, but it acts like it sometimes, and in FACT, air is MORE FORGIVING than fluids, so technically, if something can keep pressurized fluid from pushing through a crack, it can MORE than safely keep air that is unless LESS pressure from coming through.

Also, it'll sand down to be smooth instead of having the head of a brass bolt sticking out of my intake manifold, and it CAN BE DRILLED AND TAPPED if anyone wants to use nitrous later, and it was actually recommended by a ASE certified mechanic here, not as a first option, but I told him I already had it, so it's not like I'll be "wasting" my money on it, and he says he thinks it's perfectly fine, since it handles high temps and is capable of keeping pressurized fluid back. But I still thought of asking for more opinions from other people who might actually know.

"Now, since about a half dozen people have responded with nearly identical suggestions, why do you continue to wait for somebody who will give you what you want to hear? Either go ahead and put a ****ing bandaid over the hole, or listen to EVERYONE in here and fix it properly."

No no horatio, I'll wait for someone who have actually tried it or at the very least knows the exact specific thing I'm talking about. I've got "identicle" responses from people who are all speculating (including some which are even questioning what I'm talking about), and one smartass who is also speculating. Oh lookie there hor, someone who have used it has responded. He also suggested using a screw, but he did say it would work if I wanted to use it.

Oh look, good advice for a change, I'll take a look at a screw for the job since someone who actually knows and isn't full of himself gave me REAL advise, thanks birdman. And horatio, while I realize it's the same thing you said originally, he has actually used what I'm talking about (and hasn't had a completely horrible attitude about it) so it was better to hear it from him.
sorry ken but air is a all the time fluid.
general definition of a fluid is any substance that can flow.

also, gases are usually more hazardous to keep under pressure than liquid fluids. because liquid fluids cannot be compressed, if they leak they will only produce droplets at the leak as opposed to a violent burst of pressurized gas for gaseous fluids.
hope it helps.

Quick Reply: using "instant metal" to plug up holes??