MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   using "instant metal" to plug up holes?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/39662-using-instant-metal-to-plug-up-holes.html)

Demon_Mustang 03-25-2005 03:22 AM

using "instant metal" to plug up holes??

Hello, I forgot what the stuff is called, but there is this little solid tube that you cut, then crush and mix and it will soon harden to a substance that can be used to seal cracks or leaks. It is supposed to be able to handle temps up to like 400 degrees or something, and can be sanded down if needed.

I was wondering, I am going to buy that car I spoke about a bit earlier because I finally found a place to store it, and I want the Edelbrock intake manifold in my car, but it has a port drilled into it for nitrous, and I don't want nitrous. So what do you guys think about sealing this hole using that "instant metal" type thing?

Also, I want to get rid of my smog pump. I've bypassed it using a shorter belt long ago, but I also want to get rid of it completely. The only reason why I haven't is that I can't weld (no equipment) and don't know of a safe way to plug everything up that I need to. What is the best non-welding method to accomplish this?

Thanks all.

horatio102 03-25-2005 03:25 AM

RE: using "instant metal" to plug up holes??

:(

JB weld (and the like) make baby jesus cry.

Use a bolt or a pipe plug or something, some thread sealant, and plug the holes.

Demon_Mustang 03-25-2005 03:27 AM

I'm not talking about JB weld, that is like apoxy isn't it? What I'm talking about is a solid tube that has two compounds that is kept separate, but together. You cut off a small cylinder from one end, and squeeze it to mix it, and that hard substance will solidify in like 4 hours or something. If I find what it is called, I'll post it...

horatio102 03-25-2005 03:29 AM

it doesn't matter what it's called, it's a 2 part epoxy just like JB Weld. Would you use duct tape to permanently repair a leaky hose?

Demon_Mustang 03-25-2005 03:33 AM

But JB weld is two liquids and is kind of used like a glue. This is a metal repair material used to seal cracks from fluid leaks...

luckythirteen13 03-25-2005 04:17 AM

correct me if im wrong but when you mix two chemicals together and one is a hardener, your working with some type of an epoxy. there are many forms. bondo is an epoxy and i sure as hell wouldnt plug a hole with that

Demon_Mustang 03-25-2005 04:42 AM

Well yes, but you see, one epoxy, is a glue. Another epoxy is a body filler, and this one, is MADE TO SEAL CRACKS AGAINST FLUID LEAKS. Bondo was not made to fill cracks to seal leaks, so obviously they are different. I want someone who actually knows what I'm talking about to share an opinion. Not just a general opinion based on semantics.

birdman076 03-25-2005 08:52 AM

I have used something similar to that on intakes before with no problems. The intake doesn't get hot enough to damage or breakdown the substance. I have seen people use it in the actual intake track itself to reshape them for better flow but I think that would be pushing it a little, if it ever cam loose by by motor. If there was a nitrous port drilled though, I would assume it was tapped as well? Why not just use a nice looking screw in plug?

86HOGT 03-25-2005 10:27 AM

We have this stuff in th body shop called Metal 2 Metal. Mixes like Bondo, yet can be drilled and tapped like metal.

5.0mustang5speed 03-25-2005 10:40 AM

pipe plugs at the hardware store for the nitrous holes are about .10 cents each..and the bigger ones for the heads are .50 each..dont use nasty looking putty....