General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

I'm just a little teeny tiny ticked off...ok..actually I'm pissed.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Slothcat
2nd Gear Member

Default I'm just a little teeny tiny ticked off...ok..actually I'm pissed.

So...I remove the side molding from my doors...and I'm wondering why I can't seem to get rid of all of this residue that's still left behind. There was no adhesive, but it's like there's a thin little line where the outline of the molding was..

I take it to a paint and body shop, and I find out that my car has been repainted, and it explains why underneath it's a different color than the rest of the paint.

The fact that it was wrecked and repainteddidn't show up on the Carfax when I bought the car, and the dealer assured me that there has never been any body work done to the car, and that it's never been wrecked.

I bought the car "as is" even though it only had 7900 miles on it when I bought it, and paid $13,800 cash for it...

Is there anything I can do legally? And even if not...don't they have at least an ethical reponsibility to do something since they were dishonest with me?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:18 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I'm just a little teeny tiny ticked off...ok..actually I'm pissed.

What year is the car? Im assuming 7900 miles pretty new...but 13800 cash tells me like an 03 or something. Technically, if it did not pull up on carfax, dealer really may not have known. Previous owner may have opened the door into a pole and dented it badly, had it repaired and repainted. That would never be reported as an accident to carfax because no police report would have been opened. Only way dealer probably knew about it is if it happened while it was on the lot, dealers put there cars in to the paint shop all the time for paint work from car lot damage. Like doors being smacked, scraping other cars while pulling in, or bumping fenders. Paint work isnt neccasarily a horrible thing. I doubt the whole car has been repainted.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Slothcat
2nd Gear Member

It's an 04.

The only thing is, the previous owner was a car rental company according to the car fax...and it was purchased at an auction by the dealership..

I just feel like if the dealership went to buy it at an auction...surely they would have noticed that it had been damaged and repainted...the guy I brought it to noticed within seconds and started pointing out all of these things...
Old 02-07-2008, 07:36 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

dealers don't care if it was wrecked they got it cheap marked it up a few grand and sold it to you. like the other guy said it don't mean it was hit hard or anything like that may be it was just scratched or something
Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Slothcat
2nd Gear Member

I took off the other molding on the other side and it looks perfectly fine..

Is it possible that they only painted the one side? And how much would it cost roughly to just have the door repainted?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:30 PM
90LX2.3
2nd Gear Member

most likely a couple hundred for just the door.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Slothcat
2nd Gear Member

Will they let me repaint just the door? Someone told me that I would have to paint the entire side of the car

I don't have money for that..
Old 02-08-2008, 01:50 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

You should beable to get one door painted. I got a cervini hood years ago and I had it only painted. Shouldn't be any different.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Mjaga251
2nd Gear Member

as long as the paint hasn't faded and they can match the paint there's no reason you shouldn't be able to just have the door painted...
Old 02-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Slothcat
2nd Gear Member

I know I asked before, but what are estimates as to how much it costs? A couple hundred is a kinda vague answer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm just a little teeny tiny ticked off...ok..actually I'm pissed.