General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Won't go into 1st,2nd, or Reverse & excessive shaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:24 PM
NGUSPEED

Default Won't go into 1st,2nd, or Reverse & excessive shaking

I'm new to the Mustang scene, but I'm hoping you'll can help shead some light on my situation.

I have a 1996 3.8L V6 Base Mustang Convertible 5spd. The car has 82,250mi on it. Here is the situation, When I come to a stop, after 30+ minutes of drivetime, I throw the car in neutral. When I try to put the car in 1st it doesn't go in. It almost feels as if it is blocked. I proceed to put the car in 2nd, and the same problem. So then I put the car in 3rd and then pull it back out and put it in 1st. It goes into 1st gear, but not without force, keep in mind the clutch is depressed all the way and I have yet to move the car still. After I put it into gear, I give it gas and start up. The car then starts to shake excessively. At first I thought I wasnt giving the car enough throttle, but that doesnt seem to be the case. I have to tap the gas and rev the car up and down while letting off the clutch to minimize the shaking.

This situation also happens when I try to put the car in reverse after driving it.

1. Is anyone experiencing or has experienced this same problem?
2. Can someone tell me what it could be?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

***** Saturday February 23, 2008 Update *****

Here is an update. I've been driving the Mustang this week on my regular commute and the weather has been pretty cold. The shifting has been fine. Im realizing that the issue only occurs when it is warm out, after 30min of drive time, im guessing when the transmission temperature warms. I hope this information helps out.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:07 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Won't go into 1st,2nd, or Reverse & excessive shaking

Have you checked your spark plugs? Fuel Filter? did any maintenance to it? If your idling rough then you probably need to do a tune up to it. If it isn't an idling problem what does the shaking feel like?

Your synchonizer's could be going out. The synchro's go out pretty easy in the Manuals. That would explain why you can't get it into gear without force.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:49 AM
NGUSPEED

I have not checked the plugs at all, but I can definately tell you that it's not a minor shake. The car shakes like the it's going to stall out. It shakes so bad that it rattles the entire dash on the car.

[]

Im thinking its the sync's also.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

How are the RPM's when it is shaking? Are they surging back and forth or staying normal?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:37 PM
NGUSPEED

ORIGINAL: indisposible_teens

How are the RPM's when it is shaking? Are they surging back and forth or staying normal?
They are staying normal, unless I let off the gas that is.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:00 PM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

So, If you are not on the gas do the RPM's surge back and forth? It sounds like it is having trouble getting air, fuel, or spark. Have you set off any codes? Have you checked your spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, IAC etc. etc. It shouldn't be a big fix if you can find the problem. lol
Old 02-19-2008, 06:47 PM
NGUSPEED

ORIGINAL: indisposible_teens

So, If you are not on the gas do the RPM's surge back and forth? It sounds like it is having trouble getting air, fuel, or spark. Have you set off any codes? Have you checked your spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, IAC etc. etc. It shouldn't be a big fix if you can find the problem. lol
When I am not on the gas, the RPM's do not surge back and forth. They stay where they are suppose to.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:13 AM
NGUSPEED

I've updated the information a bit.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:39 AM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

How is the condition of your clutch? Do you hear any noise from the throwout bearing? Also, someone said syncros before, could be a possibility, but that wouldn't explain your reverse problem.