General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What will get me 500 horse

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 03:14 AM
fats429
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What will get me 500 horse

ORIGINAL: 89stanglx22

I don't really have an immediate bank i am working on this project with my father. I would like to have a street/strip car but leaning more towards the strip part. Well if i can keep the stock block then i would like to just cram some power into it. I want to keep the outside bone stock and just have all the power underneth the hood. And can you go indepth with your answers. Thanks alot for your imput. B-RY
500 ponies and stock trim it will never happen . you will twist the car so bad olny 3 weeles will touch the ground .
Old 04-04-2005, 05:58 AM
91LXstanger
3rd Gear Member

so if he got some serious subframes and suspension upgrades, that wimpy chassis maybe wont flex.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:59 AM
Aongus
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fats429

I don't really have an immediate bank i am working on this project with my father. I would like to have a street/strip car but leaning more towards the strip part. Well if i can keep the stock block then i would like to just cram some power into it. I want to keep the outside bone stock and just have all the power underneth the hood. And can you go indepth with your answers. Thanks alot for your imput. B-RY
500 ponies and stock trim it will never happen . you will twist the car so bad olny 3 weeles will touch the ground .
GREAT! 3 wheels vs. 4 wheels = Less friction! You won't need 500 hp with less friction!
Old 04-06-2005, 09:39 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

If you have to ask what it takes to get 500 horsepower, you don't have what it takes to get there.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:06 AM
89stanglx22

I didn't mean to ask how to get 500 horse but just what are the best parts that will get me close to 500 with some durability. I have a lot of knowledge and my dad knows some stuff. So if you can just throw a few parts names and prices my way. Thanks alot B-RY
Old 04-07-2005, 01:20 AM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: fats429

"Car had so much torque the chassis twisted off the line." NO **** VIN DIESEL, all of them do! lol That movie is funny
Old 04-07-2005, 01:22 AM
JonBeast

I didn't mean to ask how to get 500 horse but just what are the best parts that will get me close to 500 with some durability. I have a lot of knowledge and my dad knows some stuff. So if you can just throw a few parts names and prices my way. Thanks alot B-RY
Thats just another way of stating the same thing. "how can i get 500 hp" "what parts will get me 500 hp"
same thing
Like I said before, just start modding your car, and if you really are dedicated and want 500 hp, you'll get there. Good luck[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 04-07-2005, 01:28 AM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

What your asking for with a stock 302 block is borderline impossible. The stock factory 302 can only take 500hp then it cracks, splits, or pukes all its internals. the only thing a girdle is going to give you is a slight piece of mind that when it does crack the girdle may save the bottom end. Its well known that the block cracks in the lifter valley and goes down so a girdle won't stop the damage, it will just hold it together HOPEFULLY.

Reliability, streetability, and 500hp are the perameters here so what I would suggest is get a 351W and start with that as a base. You will get to 500hp alot easier, have more strength, and reliability while being streetable. You shouldn't have to stroke the 351, so you can take that money that you would have to use on the 302 and put it towards a killer set of heads and cam.

Or you could twin turbo the bitch and run it till it blows, should be quite a show when it does.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:24 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

if you really want 500 HP AND durability, then you really should consider going with a 351W stroker engine instead of the 5.0 engine.
A Dart Iron Eagle 4 bolt main block costs between $2,100 - $2,500 depending on the deck height and machining done.
then the rotating assembly needs to be forged steel crank and rods, with forged aluminum pistons and dynamically balanced with the damper and flywheel attached. compression ratio is critical and if you want to run pump gas, then you have to be real careful selecting the right cam and heads and pistons to avoid detonation. and the whole engine needs to be assembled with high quality bolts and studs like those from ARP. there are any number of engine builders who can put together the right combination for you but they don't come cheap!
Old 04-07-2005, 08:06 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

If you dont want to slowly work your way up go with a crate engine, look at summit to get a ballpark figure $10k not including rearend, transmission, suspension. Personnaly i think your goal is a little high. Shoot for 350 for now and see how you like it. Unless your pockets are really that deep.

Quick Reply: What will get me 500 horse