General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Would you buy a 2010 Electric converted Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:46 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default Would you buy a 2010 Electric converted Mustang?

Hello everyone;

I have been thinking about electric drives for a while and I figured I would ask you guys the question this weekend.

Would you Buy/Drive a new 2010 Mustang that had been converted to an Electric drive?

Thedrive powerchoices for this poll are 300hp and 500hp.
Auto and 5/6 speed manuals. Charge distance 200-400 miles between charges. Average cost per full charge $12-15 electric (Based on 2007 stats)

Adjustable tuning for an extra selectable 100hp ontop of base on a scale of 1-100 increase.

Both versions will be placed into a GT.

Price will be 5-10,000 more than the cost of the GT so 34-41,000.

Electric A/C, Electric Power Steering (Flaming River) and electric booster servo braking.

Weight of the car would roughly be 500lbs lighter than the 4.6L equiped version.

Its just something I have been thinking about. Give me your feedback guys.

-Eric-
Old 03-22-2008, 02:57 PM
hot wheels
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Would you buy a 2010 Electric converted Mustang?

might as well drive a high powered moped. no v8 rumble no chance
Old 03-22-2008, 03:07 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Strong opinion, dont forget to place your vote.

I am not saying that its going to be a bland or mild car, also dont think like you cant still have your V8, just think of it as an extra pony in the stable.

Also think of the production as Saleen like, total refinishing.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:12 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

count me out I don't buy into this green house crap and I don't think electric cars are the way to go I think the E85 or the Canadian equivalent to it will be better. the Canadian fuel has a much better return some kind of grass so I hear. then the corn based fuels. So we will see.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:22 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

You actually need to burn 40-50% more E85 to make the same power as pump gas. SO as for fuel economy and fuel cost its really not there, E85 is also only about 20 cents cheaper than regular.

Now E85 is great for FI setups because of the 105-110 octane rating it has, just be prepaired to use a ton of fuel. It also helps to cool the charge more and keep fuel temps down. Its avery good performance fuel imho.

Now as for using corn as Biofuel it is a horrible way to make it. There are many things that can make biofuel more efficiently such as that grass that you mentioned in Canada. But America is going to stick with Corn for a while because we have a lot of it and its easy and too many politicians jumped on it too soon.

I like E85, dont get me wrong, infact I have a project that is going to use two separate tunes for 91 andE85,Main power added from Hellion.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:39 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I should also mention that the research of Cornell University professor David Pimentel shows that it takes 1.3 gallons of oil to produce 1 gallon of E85.

Information taken from Polular Science Issue Feb 2008 ( Volume 185, No. 2 ) on page 54.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:02 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

as long as i could work on it. i guess that'd be ok. but there would have to be a gas version too
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 PM
bacon57
3rd Gear Member

I would buy it, but I think hydrogen is the way to go. If you could have a tank of water in your car and somehow using electrolalysis could seperate the hyrdrogen from the oxygen and burn the hydrogen as fuel, that way we would not have to completly redesign the internal combustion motor.
Or that's at least what I think, I'm not smart enough to do it but other people have already started making hydrogen enrichment systems to get 80mpg, so I say take it a step further
Old 03-22-2008, 10:16 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

The wife says "I say we put Smurffs in the tank!"

WoW

Anyways, the hydrogen system is a good way to go, unfortunatly the on-board electrolalysis is still way far off as it does not produce enough to power but the smallest RC style engines.
It is a great ideaand they are working on that.

Now as you knowFuel cell vehicles use the hydrogen to power an internal combustion engine to make electricity. The burning of hydrogen as fuel creates no negative pollutants and only produces something around 5% more water vapor than gasoline.

That is a super cleanmethod.

As forit coming in a gasoline version, of course it would, I am talking somone buying a few hundred and converting them like Saleen does with their awesome stangs. I [sm=smiley27.gif]Molly Saleen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujw21p8mlMI
Old 03-22-2008, 10:25 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

The wife and I both love Molly, she is a real woman that can drive the pants off those cars.
Here is her bio http://www.molly-pop.com/

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 2010 Electric converted Mustang?