General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake Problem, 4 different mechanics can't figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:23 PM
9694stang

Default RE: Brake Problem, 4 different mechanics can't figure it out

Thanks for the responses. It is tough because pretty much all of the major components have been replaced. The calipers, master cylinder, prop valve, and now the power booster. I am going to take a look at it today to see if there is a kink of some sort that is visible. I was thinking that maybe that could be it. There is no play in the pedal. Nothing was done to the brakes before this started. As a matter of fact, I changed the rear axle in Michigan, drove the car to Colorado with no problems. After one day of being in CO this started happening and I burnt up my rotors and calipers and brake hoses. One side even briefly caught fire. That when I had it towed into a shop and it has now been about 2 months and I have not been able to drive this car. I really don't understand how it can be so hard to diagnose and fix. The ABS system is "disabled" but the fluid obviously still has to run through the module. I think if I cut that out and run all new line in the front the problem should be fixed. Every single piece of the front braking system would have been replaced. And then this car is going up for sale. Too bad too because I am still under 40k miles.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:18 AM
VASSAGO
Banned

the abs pump is glogged, i had this problem on a customers car, the abs picked up some trash some how and when you brake its clogging one of the lines, and not letting the pressure release back untill u manuely release it, tell someone to check your abs pump for blockage!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

I can't believe that. I won't say it can't happen because I had one that the peddle would go right to the floor (occasionally) on the first pump. The job of the ABS is to release the brakes, not hold them.

Also, with all those parts being replaced, it seems anything that was in there, would've been flushed out by now.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:38 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stepman

I can't believe that. I won't say it can't happen because I had one that the peddle would go right to the floor (occasionally) on the first pump. The job of the ABS is to release the brakes, not hold them.

Also, with all those parts being replaced, it seems anything that was in there, would've been flushed out by now.
Actually...

The job of the ABS is to Hold, Release and Reapply the brakes for ABS assited stops. The ABS computer makes those decissions upto 15 times a second.

As for the posters problem, i agree with some of the other replies. It seems like the ABS accumulators are defective. Did you have them checked? Also, im sure you did this allready but are you recieving any ABS codes?
Otherreasons why disc brakes lock up is because of the power booster not have enough clearance from the master cylinder rod as well as some square cut seals not retracting the piston. When they installed the power booster, did they gap is from the master cylinder rod correctly? Thats where my money lays...

Hope this helps!