General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

steering gear knuckle connection to tie rods has play in it.

Old 04-26-2005, 11:47 PM
stang Gt

Default steering gear knuckle connection to tie rods has play in it.

Ive have a 99 mustang Gt. When I hit even slight bumps I hear and feel a slight jiggle through my steering wheel. I checked the ball joints and they were fine the wheel bearings seem fine. the driver side wheel has play side to side of about half an inch the play seems to be at the steering gear knuckle. the passenger side wheel has no play and seems to handle bumps and what ever fine it's the drivers side wheel that make the noise and jiggles the steering wheel. Has anyone ever encounterd this? If so can I get it repaired with out having to replace the stearing gear? Should I have ford do it ? I know it's not the outer tie rod ends. Also I have a ford arostar (wifes car) that has the same isssue with both sides causing the jiggling. I replaced the tie rods shocks bearings and had the front end alligned on the arostar and still jiggle jiggle jiggle ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! both vehicles have around 80,000 miles HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 10:16 AM
Marty256
1st Gear Member

Default RE: steering gear knuckle connection to tie rods has play in it.

Check your rack bushings, outer tie rod ends and the inner ends where they connect to the rack. If the play is in the rack it’s self I’m sure somebody out there has a remanufactured set up at a reasonable price. You’ll need to get under the car with someone at the steering wheel. Have them rock the wheel back and forth and watch the items I just mentioned to see if there’s any play in them.