General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need air tools, How big of a compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:44 PM
solman
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Need air tools, How big of a compressor?

90 psi should be plenty. The only thing a bigger tank will get you is duration. But if your not running a sander or a paint gun your compressor should be fine.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:34 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

ORIGINAL: racemyski

I have a Kobalt 1/2" Impact from Lowes. It says "90 psi max." Perhaps I should run the pressure a bit higher? My Compressor is a Black and Decker 6 gallon pancake-type. The impact will not break off lug nuts of suspension parts. I have tried to turn up the pressure to max, no luck.

Please reply back with the brand, capacity, and your personal satisfation with your air compressor.
You could get a 5000 gallon compressor.. but 90 psi is still 90 psi.

..your impact wrench is the problem not the tank

a 6 gallon pancakecompressor doesnt provide near enough CFM to efficiently run a decent impact wrench.

OP: 350 ft/lb is not a very strong impact wrench. invest in a bigger compressor as well as a stronger impact wrench. the compressor you have now is too little to power a bigger impact wrench.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Lets start over, there are three things to consider when looking at a Compressor.

1) Capacity- as in what size tank it has
2) CFM - as in what volume of air it can move per minute
3) PSI - as in what is maximum amount of pressure it can exert on that volume of air

What's the importance of each?
1) Capacity - has a direct impact on how often the compressor must kick on in order to keep the tank at a certain pressure and what flow it can maintain. The higher the capacity the less often the compressor will typcially have to kick on and the higher CFM the compressor can maintain.
2) CFM- is independent of PSI and most closely related to how large of a capacity the compressor tank has as well as the overall plumbing of the compressors air system. 3.5-6 is common in the 25-35 gallon capacity range. Higher CFM usually requires 40+ gallons and get get pretty pricey
3) PSI - the maximum amount of pressure the compressor can exert on the air volume it's pushing. 90-120psi a good range for the typical user and the most common. 40+ gallon compressors usually have 150 PSI capability.

While it is possible to increase the force your impact wrench has by increasing the PSI, if you must do that then either you have too small of a compressor (low CFM) or the gun is not rated for what you need (get a new gun).
Old 06-20-2008, 09:08 PM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

I have a 6 gal Craftsman compressor that is rated to 150 psi. It provides 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi. This has been enough to remove lug nuts with a cheap*ss 3/8" impact. It is enough for my use. If you are using it heavily, you may want a larger reservoir.