General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Cleaning the inside of mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 AM
pbMaxLax44
1st Gear Member

Default Cleaning the inside of mufflers?

I just bought two FM40s for $60 (for the pair of them) used. I just finished polishing the outside but I touched the inside with my finger and it came out solid black. =( How can I go about cleaning the inside of them? Since the rest of the exhaust I'm putting in is brand new I want them to be squeaky clean. =D
Old 07-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cleaning the inside of mufflers?

Are you just bored? It's not like anyone will see it and it won't affect anything.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:45 PM
mrdeep2001
2nd Gear Member

Anything would work. water and a wet rag?
Old 07-14-2008, 05:30 PM
aponytoofast

are you gonna wash the cylinders down too? i'm sorry, i just had to ask......
Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 PM
aponytoofast

holy crap!!!!! and my girlfriend thinks i clean mine too much.....
Old 07-14-2008, 07:30 PM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

make sure you change the muffler bearings while your doing that as well
Old 07-14-2008, 08:39 PM
pbMaxLax44
1st Gear Member

Great contribution to the forum new guys. If you do not have something to contribute to the thread then keep your mouths shut. As a new person you especially should be considerate and respectful to everyone on here if you ever want help.

I have MAC Longtubes in the mail along with an O/R H-Pipe. I am having tails custom mandrel bent and the FM40s welded in. The entire exhaust is brand new except the mufflers which have lots of caked up **** inside. The second I power it up with everything in place I don't want all the **** getting my brand new tails dirty. I don't want water getting stuck inside if it can or run into any other problems cleaning it a certain way. So if anyone has any suggestions go ahead.

If you want to be an ******* shut your ****ing mouth and take it somewhere else. I have never run into anyone so obnoxious on this forum before, why? Because they do not exist. Everyone is here to contribute, do your part.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 AM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

i see someone is uptight i was joking as im sure the others were as well but honestly ,what did you expect when you asked to clean out the inside of your mufflers? With that said ,best of luck cleaning it and with your new exhaust.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:03 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Dont bother. The insides will turn black after a while again anyway. Its part of the combustion process. As for the water thats condensation which will occur in pretty much any exhaust. If youre that determined/bored, grab a few damp rags and wipe the soot out of the ends of the mufflers. Now once you put the talipipes on, youre going to have soot covering the entire inside surface of the exhaust after a while just like the dirty mufflers and i doubt youll want to remove your exhaust. So cleaning the insides of the mufflers is, honestly, a waste of time. You can clean the inner surface of your tails the same way you would the mufflers, with a few damp rags.

I do have to say tho, its a bit OCD-ish.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:21 AM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blckstng93

Dont bother. The insides will turn black after a while again anyway. Its part of the combustion process. As for the water thats condensation which will occur in pretty much any exhaust. If youre that determined/bored, grab a few damp rags and wipe the soot out of the ends of the mufflers. Now once you put the talipipes on, youre going to have soot covering the entire inside surface of the exhaust after a while just like the dirty mufflers and i doubt youll want to remove your exhaust. So cleaning the insides of the mufflers is, honestly, a waste of time. You can clean the inner surface of your tails the same way you would the mufflers, with a few damp rags.

I do have to say tho, its a bit OCD-ish.
+1

You really do need to chill out. If this kind of mild ribbing gets under your skin, you'll NEVER last on any of the Mustang forums out there. Your head will explode in less than a week!

Quick Reply: Cleaning the inside of mufflers?