General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Gas tank gromet! Anyone change one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:17 PM
mstngd21

Unhappy Gas tank gromet! Anyone change one?

Just like the title says, I believe I need to change the gromet from the filler tube to the gas tank. My wife and I had just got done shopping and I needed gas so I went to fill up. When the pump stopped I put enough in to go to the nearest dollar and all of a sudden heard something splashing on the ground. I looked under and sure enough it was gas. So I drove the car home about a half mile away and got out a flash light and the leak was small last night and nonexistent this morning, it was coming from the bottom of the gromet. I ordered one from Late Model Restoration, even with the shipping and handleing it was cheaper than the ford dealer. I was wondering if anyone has changed one and if so how difficult is it. If I already have the tank down should I consider changing the fuel pump? Not that I have had problems with the fuel but the idle is a little rough and it is a 1996 GT. If I do change the fuel pump what size should I go with if I have done nothing to the engine so far but plan on a PI intake, head swap, throttle body, and intake plenum change? Thank You for your help everyone.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Do you mean a Gromit?:

If not, sorry I can't help you.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:01 PM
mstngd21

yeah a gromit. Sorry my bad.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 PM
LeaderofthePack

Default gromit change

Hey man I just changed mine today. I had the same problem, my fuel cap light was coming on and was kicking another code.

Heres how to replace it!! Undo hex screws that hold on fuel door and black platic peice around the filler pipe, then on the inside of the trunk take your panels out and undo the bolts around the plastic boot on the bottom of the trunk floor that the filler pipe goes through. once all that is loose under the car put a jack under the gas tank and undo the gas tank strap that is closest to the side your working on, it doesnt have to move much. undo all the little hoses around the pipe. once you have everything lose just start manuvering the filler pipe out of the tank, it goes into the tank pretty far almost a ft or so. Be carefull that the gromit doesnt fall into the tank might cause propblems down the road. Once your ready to put the new one in use white lithium grease or some sort of grease it will make it easier to in stall it on the tank, once on the tank manuver filler pipe back into the gromit and put back together.

good luck
Old 09-23-2008, 10:00 PM
mstngd21

Thanks man. Your info will help when I go to change mine. Wish I hadn't just filled it up.