General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Bulb replacement

Old 10-21-2008, 10:57 AM
salexand652

Default Bulb replacement

All,

I'm looking for some instruction/guidelines on how to replace the following on my '03 cobra:
headlamp bulbs, just a straight bulb replacement - nothing fancy.
foglamps (both busted)

Parts are on the way, should have them Thu/Fri. I'm replacing all the lights with Xenon, my night vision isn't what it used to be.

I'm mechanically-inclined, but like instructions to lead me down the right path.

Whatever happened to the days you could do your own maintenance w/o a computer science degree?!?

Thanks!
Scott
Old 10-21-2008, 11:48 AM
boxerz
1st Gear Member

for my 01 stang, u just pull 2 black metal upside down L shaped plates up on each headlamp. disconnect the 2 wires per headlamp.

pull out the rubber back, unscrew the plastic cover and pull it out than unscrew the bulb while pulling it out at the same time. the bulb isnt actually a screw, it's 3 notches that have to fit perfectly. good luck
Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
salexand652

For the headlamps in my '03 cobra, the bulb/assembly is right against the battery. I'm wondering if there's any way to replace the bulb w/o having to remove the battery.

The foglamps is what i'm really worried/wondering about. Those are up under a bunch of plastic and body work (it seems), and i don't want to start ripping stuff apart unknowingly.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:05 PM
boxerz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by salexand652
For the headlamps in my '03 cobra, the bulb/assembly is right against the battery. I'm wondering if there's any way to replace the bulb w/o having to remove the battery.

The foglamps is what i'm really worried/wondering about. Those are up under a bunch of plastic and body work (it seems), and i don't want to start ripping stuff apart unknowingly.

could u post a pic under your hood? if your talking about the battery being on the driver side and the headlamp there, let me be more specific. the headlamps come completely off. that means, the bulb inside comes off with the headlamps, just the wire has to be disconnected but it has a little bit of room to give and be disconnected when ur pulling the headlamps off.
your high beams, low beams, blinkers are all attached, the fronts come off. im not 100% sure about cobra tho
Old 10-21-2008, 01:20 PM
salexand652

Originally Posted by boxerz
could u post a pic under your hood? if your talking about the battery being on the driver side and the headlamp there, let me be more specific. the headlamps come completely off. that means, the bulb inside comes off with the headlamps, just the wire has to be disconnected but it has a little bit of room to give and be disconnected when ur pulling the headlamps off.
your high beams, low beams, blinkers are all attached, the fronts come off. im not 100% sure about cobra tho
Can't post a pic now, i'm slacking off at work. LOL
in all my previous stangs (6 of them), you could just pull the bulb out of the back of the headlamp assembly, you didn't need to remove the whole casing, etc.
Yes, the battery on the driver side is almost fully against the bulb, on the backside of the assembly.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:28 PM
boxerz
1st Gear Member

Can't post a pic now, i'm slacking off at work. LOL
in all my previous stangs (6 of them), you could just pull the bulb out of the back of the headlamp assembly, you didn't need to remove the whole casing, etc.
Yes, the battery on the driver side is almost fully against the bulb, on the backside of the assembly.
removing the casing is the easiest.. it's not really that much work, it's actually faster than removing the battery or trying to reach the wire cause the battery is in the way. it literally takes 1 minute
Old 10-21-2008, 02:57 PM
salexand652

Originally Posted by boxerz
removing the casing is the easiest.. it's not really that much work, it's actually faster than removing the battery or trying to reach the wire cause the battery is in the way. it literally takes 1 minute
can you share with me how? I'm all for easier!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:12 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

not sure about with the cobras, but with my foglights, the bulb is simple to replace. just reach up in there and twist the back of the plug about 1/4 turn and it will pull right out. it is 3 tabs and a seal that keep it locked in.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:13 PM
boxerz
1st Gear Member

can you share with me how? I'm all for easier!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ictx3rURJb0
Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 AM
salexand652

Originally Posted by ryan1994mustang
not sure about with the cobras, but with my foglights, the bulb is simple to replace. just reach up in there and twist the back of the plug about 1/4 turn and it will pull right out. it is 3 tabs and a seal that keep it locked in.
There's 2 parts of the foglamp, the lamp itself (lense cover and housing) and the bulb. I need to replace the entire lamp, since they're broken. While I'm in there though, I'm also replacing the bulb with xenon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bulb replacement