General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Door reallignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 07:03 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Door reallignment

My drivers side door is has been pretty misalligned since I bought the car and it's kinda boring me. I was wondering if there was a such thing as realligning the doors?

Can it be done safely and not like redrilling door mounts and risk having them go loose and etc etc?

Is it generally an expensive thing to do? I assume I take my car to a body shop for this kind of work

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 10-24-2008, 03:14 AM
OUTLAW1969
2nd Gear Member

Hopefully this is a quick and easy fix!

Mine was doing the same thing, not horribly mis-aligned, but did not shut easily without a good push. If I merely let the door close on its own, then it would make a dull thud, and only look like it was half-way closed.

Went to a reputable body shop, they walked out with a tool that clicks into the latch on the door, and uses the other area (inside the doorwell) as a fulcrum. A couple of easy pulls in an upward direction, and it was re-aligned! Such an easy / simple concept for a tool, I wish I had invented it! By the way, I tried to just pull up on the door a few times prior to going to the body shop. You would be EXTREMELY lucky to get this to work, in my opinion. And if you did, you might bend it too far, or crack a hinge. The body shop did it in 5 seconds, and did not even charge me.

Anyway, if it is a DRASTIC mis-alignment, you might want to replace one (or both) of the hinges. Bottom one is pretty easy, the top one......different story!

Check that your window is not out of adjustment, too. My driver side window was rolling up too far, and scraping the doorframe on the top. I had to fix that too.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:34 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Oh cool thanks i'll look into it