MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   Not Sure what to get (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/492785-not-sure-what-to-get.html)

Roushstang07 10-25-2008 12:59 PM

Not Sure what to get

Whats Up Guys, I am currently looking at getting a toy for the weekends or something to have fun with when i get the itch lol. anyway ive been back and forth on what to get. and I really dont know. I Origianlly wanted to get a 03-04 Cobra but after driving one at work the clutch felt very uncomfortable and was very stiff as so was the shifter. then i said to myself maybe i should get a s197 for the time being and then eventually get a gt500 down the road. but then again i dont have 50K if not more to spend on a Gt500 opposed to buying either a S197 Gt or a Termy in the same price range. any help. i could also wait to just get the Shelby GT. but I would have to see ive driven both the S197 Gt and the Termy. thats why i talked about the difference in what i see. I figure maybe if i got the GT did a little work to it. then sell it down the road and get the Gt500 if the price is reasonable but then again i dont know how much that will be then. And I am only 18 btw. well see how things go. but your opinions are more then welcome.

Mustang_Joe 10-25-2008 01:59 PM

Your 18 and you can afford a termi or an S197 mustang gt? Insurance and gas is gonna be a bitch for you at your age. I'm 19 and insurance on my V6 under me is pretty high (let's just leave it at over $2k a year), not to mention gas expenses too.

BTW, no clutch on a 380rwhp+ is gonna feel comfortable unless it's aftermarket. And just to let you know, american clutches are no wear near as smooth and friendly feeling as their european and jap counterparts. I've driven tons of stick cars and you have to be a man to drive an american stick car, I know the difference. Welcome to the stick driving experience of american sports cars. Sound like you'd be good with a mustang gt automatic if you can afford it, if not get an auto V6 stang. I wouldn't suggest a stick car if the cobra trans and clutch bothered you.

mustangman02232 10-25-2008 02:32 PM

honestly, id look for a 99-04 GT (if its fun make sure its a vert trust me) do a few tasteful mods to it and get used to the power, and keep saving up and find yourself a GT500 a few years down the road if thats what you really want.

Roushstang07 10-25-2008 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe (Post 5584104)
Your 18 and you can afford a termi or an S197 mustang gt? Insurance and gas is gonna be a bitch for you at your age. I'm 19 and insurance on my V6 under me is pretty high (let's just leave it at over $2k a year), not to mention gas expenses too.

BTW, no clutch on a 380rwhp+ is gonna feel comfortable unless it's aftermarket. And just to let you know, american clutches are no wear near as smooth and friendly feeling as their european and jap counterparts. I've driven tons of stick cars and you have to be a man to drive an american stick car, I know the difference. Welcome to the stick driving experience of american sports cars. Sound like you'd be good with a mustang gt automatic if you can afford it, if not get an auto V6 stang. I wouldn't suggest a stick car if the cobra trans and clutch bothered you.

its not that it bothered me a whole lot. i guess it was the fact that i wasnt use to a cable driven clutch as opposed to a hydralic clutch. but I am sure id be able to get use to it. i found the s197 Clutch easy but stiff but it was no wears close as stiff as the cobra. there's a few other cars I am looking at to so well see. and after all if i decided to go with the cobra. i wouldnt be driving the car everyday so it wouldnt really bother me that much unless i was going long distance with it. but if i had to i would adjust the cable to the clutch or just go aftermarket. and maybe switch out the shifter if needed.

Mustang_Joe 10-25-2008 08:20 PM

I don't know where you have the money to do this, but if you do go cobra. If you're a good driver you can hit 12's stock, drop about $1k into it and you can hit 11's(pulley,tune, Drag radials). Put it under a collector's car insurance under one of your parents name and you will be paying under $1k a yr on insurance on it. It's one hell of a car, so don't kill yourself in it. It's also a street legend so don't do too much crazy **** in it because you will be noticed a lot just driving regularly. Good Luck.

Roushstang07 10-25-2008 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe (Post 5584941)
I don't know where you have the money to do this, but if you do go cobra. If you're a good driver you can hit 12's stock, drop about $1k into it and you can hit 11's(pulley,tune, Drag radials). Put it under a collector's car insurance under one of your parents name and you will be paying under $1k a yr on insurance on it. It's one hell of a car, so don't kill yourself in it. It's also a street legend so don't do too much crazy **** in it because you will be noticed a lot just driving regularly. Good Luck.

doesnt the vehicle need to be some odd years old before you can register it as a collector vehicle yet alone to the insurance.

Mustang_Joe 10-25-2008 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Roushstang07 (Post 5584947)
doesnt the vehicle need to be some odd years old before you can register it as a collector vehicle yet alone to the insurance.

No number of years. Just needs to be considered a collectors car or old(70's will do for that I think).

Some newer collectors car that will fit under that for insurance are the GT500, Cobra, Z06 vette(C5 and C6), and LS1 Trans Ams and Camaros.

Roushstang07 10-25-2008 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe (Post 5584986)
No number of years. Just needs to be considered a collectors car or old(70's will do for that I think).

Some newer collectors car that will fit under that for insurance are the GT500, Cobra, Z06 vette(C5 and C6), and LS1 Trans Ams and Camaros.

thanks man ill look into that. my whole plan is to have the whole car payed for that way insurance wont be a big deal. i have a pretty good amount of money saved up right now just need to find another job. i got layed off from my previous one. so hopefully ill have another job soon that way i can start saving again. Do most insurance companies offer the collector's insurance. that would be a big help on my end i got quoted by an insurance company for 3550 i believe for a year. thats like 1700 and some change every 6 months. i was looking at the STI and Evo they wanted 2700 every 6 months. so it came out to be like 4400 a year i believe so i find it weird that the mustang would be cheaper would the collectors insurance be good for the sti and evo also.

Mustang_Joe 10-25-2008 10:33 PM

No idea about the sti or evo. I know a few people that have cars under collectors car insurance and don't pay over $1k a yr and are allowed to drive the car up to like 6k miles a year or something. It's not like geico or all state, there are certain collectors car insurance agencies. I forgot the names, but I know there is at least a handful out there. If I remember I will post them. I would ask around and search, I don't know if all collectors car insurances insure newer cars but I know some do.

Roushstang07 10-26-2008 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe (Post 5585226)
No idea about the sti or evo. I know a few people that have cars under collectors car insurance and don't pay over $1k a yr and are allowed to drive the car up to like 6k miles a year or something. It's not like geico or all state, there are certain collectors car insurance agencies. I forgot the names, but I know there is at least a handful out there. If I remember I will post them. I would ask around and search, I don't know if all collectors car insurances insure newer cars but I know some do.

yea iam defintely gonna look into that.