General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

MAJOR HELP! I got an oil leak from....??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:01 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Default MAJOR HELP! I got an oil leak from....??

I drove my 69 stang yesterday for 3 hours straight. First time I drove her so long after purchasing a few months ago. When i pulled into my drive, i noticed a trail of oil. I looked under and noticed it was leaking quite bad.

I could not find where it was leaking from as it semmed it was coming from behind the engine. I have a 302 engine. My m echanic said either a head gasket or a rear seal. I had a closer look an hour ago and noticed fresh oil around cylinder 7 around the spark plug. I checked all other sparks and they are dry. I took off the spark number 7, the tip was dry but the threads had oil on it. I think the leak is coming from this area as it is from there down where i see wetness.

Any ideas?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Sounds like it's your valve cover leaking. Simple fix, but if it's leaking that bad, start it and you should be able to see it leak. Look at the bottom lip of the cover above the plug.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 AM
03stangfan
2nd Gear Member

If its a rear main seal (which I doubt but it is possible) than its going to be a much worse process to replace. As for a valve cover leak. Get some cork gaskets instead of the rubber ones. Cork will last longer and seal up much better in the long run. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:25 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Default Ok here is the latest....

I drove her today for a couple hours to let it heat up, same thing as the other day, after an hour, the pressure started to drop and it drops from half all the way down to zero!

Then the leak starts a little. I tried to see where its coming from. i even took the valve covers off to see if it was wet underneath, it wasnt. Was dry. But strage enough around the spark 7, there was oil. My question is, could i have blown a head gasket? Would the oil rise an inch to drench the spark? The spark threads have oil on them, where did that oil come from?

Also, the tranny is covered in oil. I also noticed a noise i never heard before. On idle, i hear like a puttering noise. As if your making a fart noise with your mouth. Its coming from behind the intake in the middle of the engine. Not sure what it is. Tried to put my hand to feel any air but kept getting burned. Not a good idea when engine is hot.

Please help give me some more feedback...
Old 11-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Could that be an engine knock?? ...from the low oil pressure?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

OK, sense you have 2 threads going on this same topic, it makes it harder. Are we talking about the rear plug, or the one in front of it. The way you describe it, it sounds more like the intake is leaking in the back. And, No, oil doesn't leak UP....it can only go down. So, if your plug is wet, it must be a leak ABOVE the plug.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Default hmm

Ok since oil cannot leak up even 1 inch, im wondering how in the world oil got on the threads of the spark and around that area. And funny thing its only no7. All the rest are ok.

I took off the valve covers and the seals were dry so I do not have a leak from the valve covers.

Regarding the nouise behind the engine, now that the car is cold, I will start it and find out where the noise is coming from. I hope that when I find the noise it will show the leak as well?

I am thinking that I might have multiple leaks, one from the intake and the head gasket? I have to put everything back together and wash her and then wait.

ill keep you guys informed. let me know if anyone has any smart suggestions.

In the meanwhile, I was thinking of pulling the engine out and change all gaskets from the pistons up. Ill make sure first that the compression is ok since the engine will be out and then start from there. If the compression is not ok, then ill change rings as well. There is a kit from mustangsunlimited that I can change all the covers in the front to give it sorta like a facelift as well. Ill take some pics of the engine and send it to you guys tell me what you think.

this whole leak is driving me nuts...

Last edited by CyprusMustang; 11-12-2008 at 02:03 AM.