General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Did Maier Racing change the design of their subframe connectors? Cylindrical design?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:57 PM
STREETFIGHTER50
1st Gear Member

Default Did Maier Racing change the design of their subframe connectors? Cylindrical design?

If I remember correctly, they were different (round tube design) back in the days. Damn, I'm getting old! Anyways, I guess they combined round tube & square tube design. These are probably the best I've seen so far in SFC's.

Copied & pasted this from Maier's website:

Subframe connectors have a ceiling of work capacities, in other words they can only do so much! Maier saw Subframe connectors that replace sections of floor and Subframe connectors that are just large enough to hold themselves up to the car let alone support the chassis in any kind of realistic manner. So we took a step back and analyzed what we Wanted our Subframe connectors to do and what is a realistic solution.
You can only do so much in a single plane (Mustang floor pan) or an extreme equivalent an eighteen-wheeler’s flatbed trailer. Here large I beams run down the center but the propensity for flex still exists. In order to eliminate the majority of flex out of the chassis you need to build strength in unison with the roofline to create more of a truss type of platform, hence a Roll Cage. So what we will realistically look for in a Subframe connector is locating the suspension pick up points in relation to each other. This will greatly sharpen up the feel through the seat of the pants in high-speed driving, cornering and changing road conditions.
Now we need to build it correctly. This begs the question: What is the most applicable design? A square design is great for directional loads in most applications, however Maier Racing knows that when utilizing material with this design, round tubing will retain more structural strength over a square type design, even after it has been contoured to the floor pan. So, with this in mind we chose a cylindrical design for our Subframe connectors. Our design will endure everyday road conditions such as speed bumps, steep driveways and the likes without compromising the component’s structural integrity.
The last thing is how will we connect this design to the chassis. The most important part is mounting in multiple places. Many companies mount their Subframe connectors in two places on each side; this is not a desirable situation since it creates 2 pivot points on either end. If it is mounted in multiple points this will add to the truss concept spreading loads out over a greater area, thus reducing pivot points. This is the Maier Racing solution, and why we build our Subframe Connectors the way we do, and why Maier Racing is the most logical choice for your vehicle.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 PM
STREETFIGHTER50
1st Gear Member

Anyone try these?