General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Cutting MY Springs *Need Advice*

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

Default Cutting MY Springs *Need Advice*

Hey I really wanna Lower my car and dont wanna spend money on sumthing that i can do for free. I was wondering if any of who have cut your springs and if soo how is the ride and how much did u take off? I kno a lot of you will say not to do this, or just to buy sum. but if there is a really good reason for me not to like my wheels will for off while driving (jus an exaggerated example) then i wont

but please sum help would be much appreciated Thank you
Old 05-28-2005, 02:26 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Cutting MY Springs *Need Advice*

Pacman had this same question a few months ago. Lots of guys warned him against it for various reasons but the bottom line is this:

real lowering springs are obviously a better idea. That being said......you CAN cut your springs, just DO NOT heat them i.e. cutting torch. Use a cutting wheel.

He took of 1 coil I believe. or about an inch.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:00 PM
paniro187
1st Gear Member

don't do it cause you change the spring rate which will make your car really bouncy. No need to say it will wear your shocks really fast. don't be cheap jut buy some springs. But make sure when you buy springs you buy everything you need (shocks too) cause lower springs will wear out your stock shocks (but not as fast as cutting the stock springs will. (this is coming from a former scca racer. That's the series where you work on suspension before you even touch the engine trying to get more power.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:11 PM
66_mustang_04
3rd Gear Member

dont listen to everyone, it rides like stock...the only problem i have is the squeaking from the spring isolators due to the fact the springs dont end up flat on the top, they have a angle.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:55 PM
paniro187
1st Gear Member

being that i've built cars for scca racing. (yeah the kind of racing where suspesion matters) i know what i'm talking about. don't cut the springs just go buy lower springs and make sure you get shocks while you're at it as your stockers will wear out quickly. did you hear this guy say that your springs will sit at an angle why would you ride around wiht you springs sitting at an angle not too safe.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

ORIGINAL: paniro187

being that i've built cars for scca racing. (yeah the kind of racing where suspesion matters) i know what i'm talking about. don't cut the springs just go buy lower springs and make sure you get shocks while you're at it as your stockers will wear out quickly. did you hear this guy say that your springs will sit at an angle why would you ride around wiht you springs sitting at an angle not too safe.
Because you said that shows you DON'T know what you're talking about. Go find me an 11 second or lower car with NO suspension work.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:29 PM
paniro187
1st Gear Member

even in this 11 second car suspension BARELY matters. In scca there's some cars that have NO motorwork done whatsoever it's ALL suspension nothing else matters. Get a clue. [ul][*] [*] [*]
[/ul]
Old 05-29-2005, 08:56 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66_mustang_04

dont listen to everyone, it rides like stock...the only problem i have is the squeaking from the spring isolators due to the fact the springs dont end up flat on the top, they have a angle.
Dont listen to this crap.Thats not a good idear the spring sits real crooked.......Bad idear
Old 05-29-2005, 10:42 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Choppa

Hey I really wanna Lower my car and dont wanna spend money on sumthing that i can do for free. I was wondering if any of who have cut your springs and if soo how is the ride and how much did u take off? I kno a lot of you will say not to do this, or just to buy sum. but if there is a really good reason for me not to like my wheels will for off while driving (jus an exaggerated example) then i wont

but please sum help would be much appreciated Thank you
theres a guy around toun that has his springs cut on a civic. That thing bounces so hard. I saw em go around a corner and I swear he dammed near pulled one of the tires off the ground it bounced so hard. I dunno how he rides around in it, it was bouncing him up and down so bad, he had to get a headace.

If you cannot afford to get lowering springs, the solution is simple: Don't lower your car.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:13 AM
paniro187
1st Gear Member

exactly cause his spring rate went way up. now imagine what that's doing to his shocks it probably blew his shocks out a matter of hours. if his shocks are bouncing like that the fluid in them is over heating. buy a eibach or etc. spring kit that's a shade lower then get some shocks to go with it cause when you lower the ride height it will still wear the shocks out cause the car is suspended lower. of course it won't wear them out as fast as a person who cuts their springs.

Quick Reply: Cutting MY Springs *Need Advice*